roller furling replacement

Apr 12, 2015
hunter 30 portland, or.
I just bought a hunter 1991 30T, and am looking to replace an old CDI roller furler the boat came with. The boat is designed to have the furler drum below the deck. but I am not opposed to the replacement being above deck. There seems to be many options and I wanted to hear from other Hunter owners what types of furlers you have and what you would recommend. I need to stay in the midrange for price, any brands you would recommend, any you would stay away from?

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Soon after I bought my boat, I replaced the OEM Hood Continuous Line Furler with a Selden Furlex 200. This unit, which can be installed above or below the deck, is a relatively high quality furler and probably a bit above mid-range prices for similar high quality furlers (perhaps because it also came with a new head stay). After using this unit for over 10 years, I would say that I'm pretty satisfied with it. But....if I had to replace it, I'd prolly go with a CDI unit with the ball bearing optional drum. From what I can see from friends who have the CDI, it provides very good service at perhaps a third to half of the price of the Furlex.

Apr 12, 2015
hunter 30 portland, or.
Soon after I bought my boat, I replaced the OEM Hood Continuous Line Furler with a Selden Furlex 200. This unit, which can be installed above or below the deck, is a relatively high quality furler and probably a bit above mid-range prices for similar high quality furlers (perhaps because it also came with a new head stay). After using this unit for over 10 years, I would say that I'm pretty satisfied with it. But....if I had to replace it, I'd prolly go with a CDI unit with the ball bearing optional drum. From what I can see from friends who have the CDI, it provides very good service at perhaps a third to half of the price of the Furlex.

Thanks for the info. Warren. I will add the CDI's to my list.

Aug 23, 2009
Hunter 30 Middle River MD
Warren is right the CDIs are great value for the price. When I bought Islander she was setup for a hanked on jib. In order to sail her effectively single handed I needed the furler and the CDI has worked great the last six years. Only one complaint with it is since it doesn't use the halyard from the mast but it's own internal one it's hard to adjust tension on the Jib but it's a small price to pay.

abinkc

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 30T Grand Lake
I'm going to replace the Hood on my 30T and would like to know the pin size for the fore stay connect at the top of the mast. Since you just did it I thought you,I gut have that info. Would also likely know what type of fitting you used at the top of the mast since CDI says you must used a toggle at the top and the forestry fitting on my boat is an "I". My home email is "abutkus03@sbcglobal. Net. Or you can phone me at 913/956-9605. Thanks