Roller Furling Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Maybe this is a common mod for 309 owners. It's certainly the most effective of the few mods we've made to our Hull #82, Stray Cat, thus far.

I found the small cleat on the port side for securing the roller furling line to be pretty lame. Particularly lame in a situation where the wind has increased and you've decided to furl in your genoa by 20% or so. Assuming I'm sailing into the wind, I'll slack off the genoa sheet a little to take a little pressure off, then undo the furling line from the cleat and tug in the genoa to the desired position. Then make the furling line fast to the cleat again...with my arm extended out while trying to hold how many pounds on the furling line?!?! Not handy.

We added a cam cleat (I won't mention brand and size cuz even though I think I sized it right...to each his own), just behind the port sheet winch. A block attached to the be lower portion of the sternrail leg allows the furling line to make about an 80 degree bend from its fore and aft path to the cam cleat. Wow! Not rocket science, but an improvement that has stood the test of time, and is super effecient. I can make my genoa changes from the helmseat under most conditions. Easy to release, tug, and reseat in the cam cleat. Note that the cam cleat does NOT have the extra part/guide that would inhibit pulling the line completely free of the cam cleat.

As with all such mods, careful planning goes a long way. On my old boat I installed a thing or two only to find that the mod interfered with something, allowed me to trip on it, or just wasn't very handy. We haven't found a downside to this mod.

It's easy enough to work out the positioning of the block and the cam cleat, but I would be glad to provide the measurements of my locations if anyone wants.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
I'd like to see how you did it. I've thought about adding a small rope clutch in the same general location as the small cleat, but that would still force you to lean outboard to make adjustments. Your mod sounds a lot better. How did you attach the cam cleat? Through bolts into the sail locker?

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Yes, through bolts. Easy access to tighten nuts underneath. I'll try to quit being so lazy and see if I can post an image of this mod.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I used the down haul cleat that is mounted on the side of the cabin. All I have to do to lock is pull down and pull up to release. I use a 1/4'' rope insead of the 1/8'' I used for the downhaul.
It can be worked from windward side.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Frankfort IL
I haven't installed it on my 309 yet, but on my 2 earlier boats, I put in a racheting block from Harken (standard on their furling systems) aft of the port winch, and it made furling a whole lot easier. As I say, I haven't had a problem yet, but have been planning on installing the block "one of these days". It's not cheap, but it is very slick!

Ken Reed
C 309 #22 "Duet"
New Buffalo, MI

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
I just did the mod, as described in the OP, yesterday. Conditions were bad for sailing so
didn't get to try it yet. Used a Shaefer articulated furler block and a
Ronstan cam cleat. I can't believe how simple this mod is - good bang
for the buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.