Roller Furling Main Issue

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
Hello All,

Does anyone have info or experience related to in-mast roller furling main on C310. I have one and for first 5 or so years it worked great. Last 4 years it has gotten hard to deploy and hard to furl. Did get a new main and that helped some. But still have some issues.

Main question is cleaning/service/lube/whatever of the bearings in the system. I flush the bottom bearings with hose water and then occasionally spray some Sail-Kote (dry lubricant spray) in the bottom bearing the best I can. But is there a top bearing up at the top of the mast? Any advice on anything that should or can be done up there?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jim
"Polaris" (#178)

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Good start...........I understand you have a Charleston Spar in-mast. Refer to pages 16- for maintenace in the attached manual. I suspect you have a lube points at the top of the mast at the swivel. I would contact Charleston Spar at 704-597-1502 for diagrams of the specific lube points since the manual does not have these diagrams or discusses lube points.

Attachments

Last edited:

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
had the same problem, found the mast rake was wrong got a rigger to ajust the mast and boom angle. no problem, even better than new.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
My outhaul slide, despite frequent lubrication with Sailcoat, sticks. It is most annoying

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Often times it is as simple as halyard tension, do you peak up the halyard tension from time to time?

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
More, or less halyard for furling?