Roller Furling Jib

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
I have a Harken Furling system on I believe a 135 Genoa. My questions is do I need to keep a couple of raps around the foil or can I let the sail all of the way out. I ask because when my father had his roller furling installed he was told not to let the sail all of the way out. I have looked the installation/users manual for my Harken system and do not see anything regarding letting the sail all of the way out.
Any thoughts would be appreciated

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
What!?!?!?!?! Leaving a few raps around the foil hurts sail shape. You can roll out the whole jib and it will not cause an issue. That is what they are designed for.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Perhaps you're confusing leaving some wraps of the furling line, the one that goes back to the cockpit, with the actual sail. Doesn't hurt to leave a couple of turns around the drum of the furling line, unless you have so much it bunches up on the drum. The sail should be all the way unfurled with the groove of the extrusion and the luff of the sail pointing aft. It'll move from side to side depending on what tack you are on.

Apr 1, 2012
Stu, It's quite possible that my father had misunderstood the gentlemen that installed his furling and the guy was in fact referring to the wraps on the drum as you has suggested. That really does make more sense.
Thank you

Mar 11, 2010
Catalina Tall Rig/ Fin Keel Deale, MD
If, when you let the jib out, there are no more line wraps on the drum, you need to remove the sail completely off of the luff foil, then put some wraps on. It's good to have two wraps at least. Then re-raise the jib and furl it up. Check that you still have clearance on the drum so the line can go in and out freely.

Rob

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Rob's right. Another way to do it is to leave the sail completely furled on the furler but take off the jib sheets and turn the drum a few times. May be easier.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I have also just left the sail on & run a couple of turns of the furling line by hand around the drum, leaving the sail stationary & feeding the line by hand. I takes a while to feed the whole line through, but quicker then removing the sail, etc.
By the way Spindrift: I used to have a Harken Mark III furler. If it jambs up on you with halyard wrapping while unfurling, then the cure is to install a halyard restrainer fitting at the top of the mast to pull the halyard away from the top swivel. I had a lot of problems with the Harken unit. It took 3 different rigging company tries to sort it out, but this was the fix.

Apr 1, 2012
I have yet to experience the halyard getting wrapped up but, the boat is still new to me. I've sailed it probably a half dozen times. I did see in the manual information about installing a halyard restrainer.
Thanks for the responses, I'm learning every time I sail

Status
Not open for further replies.