Roller Furler Rubbing on Metal Guide - Any ideas?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not sure but you may have some adjustment by screws holding the metal guides in place. Look beneath the drum.

Oct 22, 2014
The older manual version of the profurler had a line guard similar to that. The line would ride up and between the drum and the guard confounding the furling of the sail.
1613758982041.png

Newer designs have modifies the design to capture the line in the drum.

While it is possible that the drum is rubbing, I would not attribute difficulty to use the furler to that friction. You have more than that going on. You need to look at flushing the bearings with dish soap and lots of water. Be sure that yo have the right amount of tension on the fore stay so the tit is not sagging. Be sure the furler line has a proper fair lead and can run unrestricted to your cockpit.

If no adjustment is beneath the drum then perhaps you can bend the line guard a little. Trouble is a little is so imprecise. Too much and the line rides up and causes a problem.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yeah, usually it's the fairlead's job to establish the proper furling line entry angle.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Yes, but the OP was complaining about the guard rubbing against the furler drum.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Yes, but the OP was complaining about the guard rubbing against the furler drum.
Looks like the furling line running against the guard may have deflected the guard upward into the drum. If that’s the case then do what Stu said and then bend the guard back into the right position. Just bending the guard back down without fixing the line angle will have the line bending it right back again.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Looks like the furling line running against the guard may have deflected the guard upward into the drum. If that’s the case then do what Stu said and then bend the guard back into the right position. Just bending the guard back down without fixing the line angle will have the line bending it right back again.
Exactly. Thanks.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I agreed with adjusting the fairlead, my point was doing that alone wouldn't solve the rubbing problem
Yes, I see what you mean.
Adjust the fairlead.
Bend the guard back out.
Done.
Thnx.

Oct 22, 2014
@Nomad5555 has been silent since this morning as we have attempted to resolve a problem the tis not exactly clear.

Some very good ideas hav been shared, now we need the OP to test them out or tell us more about the issue.

Feb 19, 2021
Dufour Gib'Sea 37 New Orleans
Thanks so much for the ideas! I’m going to try to adjust the fairlead for the furling line and then bend the guard back. Hope that solves it Furling and unfurling is way stiffer than it should be. (Have had to use a winch.) I’ve assumed it was the guard. Thanks again!

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Adjusting the fairlead and moving the guard back a little will help, but your last comment about having to use a winch indicates a more serious problem. Something is binding somewhere. Is the furler turning freely up at the top of the headstay ? Is the stay good and straight ? If you remove the fairlead can you turn the furler easily both ways ? You should not have to use the winch unless trying to furl under very severe condition with a lot of pressure on the sail.