roller furler for Hunter 23

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter H23 Southwind YC, Milford, Kansas
I an aware that this topic has been discussed but I can't find a reference to my particular questions. I am sure that someone out there has done this modification....

I want to put a CDI FF2 roller furler on my 1985 Hunter 23 (wing keel). I understand that I must raise the roller drum up above deck level. So here are the questions.

1. How long must the SS straps be in order to get the drum out of the anchor locker and above deck level?
2. Where is the best place to purchase those?
3. Does the headstay need to be replaced, or, at least shortened?
4. If headstay needs to be shorter....by how much?

Any additional advice beyond these questions would be welcome.....pictures would be a plus!!

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
It's up to you, but eliminating the furler (FF2) from my 23 was one of the better upgrades. Having the furled sail makes stepping/ unstepping the mast a chore; the FF2 is light duty and getting that sail rolled up if the wind picks up is a needlessly exciting chore, the sewn-on UV cover made my sail fly poorly in light wind, the outboard genoa tracks were just another thing to trip on a skinny side deck...

I found a used 115% hank-on sail with a bit of a high-cut. The boat sailed very nicely, a light downhaul made dropping the sail from the cockpit a simple and fast operation. It's obviously up to you, but I was so much happier without the extra baggage!

Sep 7, 2011
B:
Thanks for the advice. I have actually been rethinking the idea since my original post. I do have a nice downhaul set up that works just fine. More thought is needed before a decision is made. Thanks for your thoughts

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
B:
Thanks for the advice. I have actually been rethinking the idea since my original post. I do have a nice downhaul set up that works just fine. More thought is needed before a decision is made. Thanks for your thoughts
If it works don't mess with it. Like Brian says, the convenience of furling is outweighed be the complexity it adds to trailering.
I had an FF2 on my Mac26S. Why would you need to raise the drum above deck? My H30T has a below deck furler.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
You would have to remove or modify the anchor locker lids on the 23 to fit the furler part above the drum, and also I'm not sure the locker is wide enough where the chain plate is to even fit the drum. The chain plate is right up at the front of the v in the locker. My boat came with a Harken furler and has stainless tangs that have the upper clevis pin hole about 3 in or so above the level of the lids. Decktosser, if you decide to go with furler, you will have to shorten the stay. The install instructions should give you instructions based on measuring the pin to pin length of the current stay, and subtracting out the length of the tangs you'd use.
I like mine. But I launch and retrieve once per season, so the modest extra hassle from the furler isn't a big deal. It is easier if you remove the sail.

Sep 7, 2011
isaksp00: Thanks for the comments. Presently there is a quick adjust attached to the stem fitting and then about 6" of strap tang attached to that. So, the swaged thread end on the forestay is already about 12" above the stem fitting. I think that the FF2 furler would fit in there without a need to shorten the forestay. Pin to pin length of the forestay is 27.5 feet but that actual length of the forestay wire is 26.5 feet.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Actually, I should retract what I said. I am not familiar with how the CDI drum fits on. The Harken drum itself acts as a turnbuckle, so it requires shortening the stay. The CDI may not if it somehow slides over the existing stay.

In your case, if the stainless tang goes from the chainplate up above the deck level by a few inches, that may be enough to attach the CDI.

Sep 7, 2011
Actually, I should retract what I said. I am not familiar with how the CDI drum fits on. The Harken drum itself acts as a turnbuckle, so it requires shortening the stay. The CDI may not if it somehow slides over the existing stay.

In your case, if the stainless tang goes from the chainplate up above the deck level by a few inches, that may be enough to attach the CDI.
Yes the CDI furler does fit over the stay. We will see !!