Roller furler extrusions pulled apart

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
We were finishing prep of Lady Lillie, our ‘77 h27 this morning. The last item was hoisting our 110 genny on the forestay furler. (A Harkin I think from sometime long before we bought her in 2000.) about 3/4s of the way up, the slide jammed. It turned out the extrusions had pulled apart there over the winter ashore. We did nothing to the mast this winter and had multiple successful sail changes last season.

So, what do you think? Is repair possible? If we need to replace it what current roller fuller do you recommend.

Meanwhile, our marina service folks (very good people from long experience) have given me the contact info for the local rigger they work with on roller furler and other issues. I’m waiting for him to call back.

Thanks in advance!

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
David, if the rigger can't pull the extrusions together, it's not likely that you'll be able to find parts for such an old furler. I had a similar issue 10-12 years ago and ended up getting a new furler because no parts were available.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Quick note: The roll pins that hold the foil to the connectors (if it is an early Harkin) will loosen if the head stay is not tensioned enough.. The pin will protrude from the foil, jamming the swivel. The Harkin repair kit and instructions I think are still available. They recommend using red Locktite on the pins when re-assembling.
Hunter__56504330.pdf (sailboatowners.com)

Attachments

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I assume you have a connector in between each section of foil. If that is intact, I would hope you can get replacement pins or screws and just reattach it. I did use red loctite on my attachment screws. If needed, use a propane torch to remove any attachments you need to replace.