Roller furler conflicts w/Spinnaker halyard block

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter

We have a Harken roller furl jib on our 1986 C22. We also have internal halyards. Now we have put up a (cruising, asymmetrical)spinnaker block on thevforward most and highest part of the mast truck (I think that is what it is called). The problem is that this block sometimes gets in the way of the top most part of the roller furling when pulling out the jib. When flying the spinnaker, the top of the roller furler sometimes gets in the way of the spinnaker block. It would seem to me that we need some way of "hanging" that spinnaker block further forward than it is and then run the spinnaker halyard back close to the mast with a turning block. Has anyone else run into this problem? How have you solved it? Do you have pictures? Thanks, Peter Au Contraire Stamford,

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Lead (as in "leed...")

The most important aspect is to make the lead fair and to get the halyard out of the way. Internal or external halyards may not be the problem for you. Almost any marine hardware manufacturer's catalogs, especially Harken, will give you information on your issue. Many (but certainly not all) of the questions posed can be addressed, if not resolved, by examining existing published information. One doesn't have to buy a big expensive book (although Calder's should be required reading), and the answer is out there in Defender, West Marine and BoatUS Advisors. We're always here to help, but it's kind of similar to: "One Hand for Yourself and One for the Ship."

P

Peter

Relevance ???

Stu, what is the relevance of your comment????? For your information, this problem would not occur on a larger boat. Because, on a 34 foot boat, there is more room at the top of the mast where all this hardware must exist. While I appreciate a response, I would prefer one that has some constructive thought behind it. For example, it would have been constructive to inform me that I had inadvertantly posted this article to the "General interest" forum and not the "Catalina 22" forum, as I had, obviously, intended to.

D

Don

Mast Head Crane

You probably need a "masthead crane" to get the spinnaker halyard block out and in front of the masthead so it will not interfere with the upper furling swivel. It attaches to the top of the masthead using the clevis pins as anchors and has a metal loop that juts out forward of the masthead to which the spinnaker block attaches. The crane also allows the spinnaker block to swing from side-to-side depending on what side your spinnaker is set. I called Catalina Direct a few months ago about getting one for my C25, but at that time they stated that they were only developing a crane for the C22. You might want to give them a call.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Crane

Peter, Don is right about the proper nomenclature for the fitting you are looking for. Regardless of boat size, things always seem to stay in relative proportion, and, indeed, our Catalina 22, Catalina 25 and now Catalina 34 are all pretty well proportioned. So the confluence of roller furling jib hardware and spinnaker blocks at the top of the mast create the same issues on all size boats. I also agree with Don. Catalina Direct is probably one of your best-ever C22 sources. They also have great stuff for our boat: their replacment diesel fill and water and waste tank caps are priceless. Hope you are able to solve your problem.

P

Peter

Crane

I was hoping that someone might have a different solution than Catalina Direct. I spoke to Catalina Direct about a "crane" back in April, when we commissioned our boat. At that time they had a small extension for the spinnaker block, which I got. Unfortunately, it does not do the job. However, I will call them again when I get back from a business trip. Thanks, Peter

R

Rick Amon

Spinaker issue resolved

I also have a 22, 1989, with roller furling and internal halyards. A crane is not neccessary, if you use the jib halyard for your spinaker. If you have roller furling installed, the halyard is never used and just "hangs around". A good piece of equipment to buy, if you fly an asymetrical, is a tacker. This gives you the benefits of flying without a pole (either symetrical or asymetrical. Forums are for all questions, either simple or complex. For sailors just starting out, please give the user some "slack" until they get their arms around the pertinent URLs or research literature.

D

Don

What is resolved?

If you use your jib halyard to hoist your spinnaker, then I must assume that you have removed the jib from the foil since most furling units use the jib halyard to hoist the spinnaker. If that is the case, then you have defeated the purpose and convenience of the roller furling jib and this to me is not a solution, but a work around. By having a dedicated spinnaker halyard in conjunction with a crane, the halyard will not get tangled with the swivel and you won't have to remove the jib every time the spinnaker is hoisted.

R

Rick Amon

Responce

My 150 genoa stays furled on the foil, and does not use the jib halyard to either hoist or douse. Its sole purpose is to raise or lower the mast, with a gin pole. I agree, that if you had to peel the 150 off the foil every time you sail the spinaker, it would be a pain. That is not the case, on my boat. Rick

C

Chris Athanitis

Whats a Tacker?

Rick, I am planning on doing the same thing you suggested. I have a roller furling jib as well which does not use a jib halyard that goes through the mast. I dont have a jib halyard in the mast right now so I plan to drop the mast and add the halyard(also need to replace the masthead light and the windex). Any suggestions as to doing this. I will be flying a symetrical spinnaker with a pole. Any problem with the halyards jumping the shieve at the mast head when the spinnaker rotates on a jibe? You mentioned a tacker to avoid using a pole...whats that? Any info would be helpfull. Thanks. Christos

J

John J

Jib Halyard

CDI furlers do not use the jib halyard, so my guess is he has a CDI

T

Trevor

Tacker by ATN

See http://www.atninc.com/tacker.html (click link below)

R

Rick Amon

Jibing with a Spinaker

I have had no issues with my jib halyard jumping its sheeve. You are going to find out that a very broad reach, I mean very broad, is your best point of sail with a spinaker or an asymetrical spinaker. Running with either, using a tacker (please see the previous responce for a URL or go to google.com). A Tacker is a piece of equipment that can run up and down on your furled head sail, with your sail tacked to it. It works (but not like a pole)to keep your sail "out or reaching". I chose a tacker and an asymetrical because I do not a topping lift for a pole. If I had to do things over, I would invest in a pole and topping lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.