Role Call - everyone OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I am really hoping all our Cherubini Hunters have survived Sandy...I realize some folks in the Great Lakes regions are still dealing with the storm right now (Tuesday AM)...to them I say: hang on, good luck, and stay safe!

To start the ball rolling, here in Nova Scotia, 700+ miles away from Sandy, we have had 35 knot easterly gales. Calypso is fine. I suspect that other forum members from NS rode it out fine or are already on the hard for the winter. No surprise that it has been a non issue, but still a windy night.

Next...?

Jan 13, 2011
Hunter 33 (78 Cherubini) Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
Greetings from Havre de Grace, MD...

I slept on the boat Friday night in anticipation of moving her to Tidewater Marina Saturday morning. Four crews were working to "pull" and "block" boats of every type, shape, and size.

When I went into the office the phone would ring every few minutes with Captains calling to request an "emergency" haul. There simlpy was not enough time before the storm to schedule any other boats. The yard was at capacity and planned to work around the clock to meet thier obligations.

There is a "State of Emergency" in Delaware so I can't get down to the boat until it is lifted. While I have called the marina, there is no answer. I am assuming the lines are down. I will be going down to the boat on Saturday. I plan to continue my refit...or sell the parts of the boat that might be left. : )

I love my boat. I know she has a heart and a soul. She has comforted me, rocked me gently to sleep, and allowed me to recharge my batteries as I have recharged hers.

In the final analysis, I can replace all that I have with the exception of those I love. They are safe. If the boat is not, I will think of her often, buy another, and sail again with friends and family.

Apr 25, 2007
Hunter Cutter 37 Jacksonville, Florida
Its well after the fact now, but Sandy skirted us down here in Jax Fla, I guess it paid off to pull the sails down, float the dinghy between two fingerdocks instead of off the davits, etc, etc. It didn't even rain on us, just some wind up to about 35. Hope everyone else made it thru okay.
Kb

Nov 28, 2011
Hunter 37-Cutter Seabrook Marina, Seabrook, TX.
Well due to demand I could not get my boat hauled out so I did what I could to move to a more shelter slip and tie up with double lines, pull the sails and button everything up. Checked on her Monday at noon and she was holding but the wind gusts would heal her over to the point she would rub her toe rail on the dock. Could not do anything to fix it without too much risk.
By this morning, winds had died down and I went back to the marina to assess the damage. I was greeted with the pleasant sight of my lady float tall with just some minor rub damage on the toe rail. Adjusted the lines and move dock cushions to avoid any further damage and headed home to get some rest from the worry.
Slaughter Creek Marina was undamaged but the new marina where I will haul out for more winter retro fitting was beat up badly from the wind driven tides.

Family and friends all faired well.

Mike
S/V Symbiont

May 4, 2010
hunter 33_77-83 wilmington, NC
Wimington got a good amount of rain and winds around the 30mph+ range. Wind Dragon was left on her own, double docklined and double fendered. Was not worried enough about it to stay on the boat this time. We dodged a bullet this time for sure.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36_1980 Bass River, NJ
Trinity faired well in her slip, tidal surge was about 8.61 ft, I had fore and aft doubled up,and 3 spring forward 1 to stern. Tied off to floating dock and one stern piling. I was real concerned with boat getting held down on stren piling and compensated as much as possible when setting things up. All lashings held, nothing unfurled. Very thankful
all is well. I am in Gardeners Basin Marina in Atlantic City. Sea walls were breached by the tides, some docks floating around,boats that stayed in appear to have some minor damage, no sinkings.

Jul 7, 2009
Beneteau First 405 Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Bonheur did well on her stands. Did have some rain over the weekend and found several new small leaks. Left the Bimini and dodger up as we did not see any wind to speak of. Still working on launching plans!.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
45 kt north gales and 20 ft waves on southern Lake Michigan today. Most boats already out of Chicago harbors though since they officially close Oct 31. That deadline has now been extended to Nov 2 because of the storm. Remaining boats in Monroe Harbor were moved to the adjacent more sheltered DuSable Harbor before the storm. Some may recall about 20 boats, including a 30 ft Cherubini Hunter, lost in Monroe Harbor in Oct 2011 during a bad storm with similar NNE winds.

Dalliance safe and on the hard since Oct 13. Bottom already sanded to gel coat for indoor winter dry out and new barrier coat next spring.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Intuition saw wind to 50kts and some heavy rain south of Daytona. Eased up the lines, added two new fenders, went back to watch the carnage on TV. Sorry to see all the wreakage in NJ. Amyone know how "Diana of Burlington" fared? Please post if you do.

Sep 26, 2011
Hunter 33_77-83 Cedar Creek Sailing Center, NJ
Arpeggio (in the water) and Alradee-Chi (on the hard) made it through fine. We have a 7 foot tidal surge in Cedar Creek, on the west side of the Barnegat Bay from Island Beach (north side of the Barnegat Inlet). The Marina was 3 foot under water but No boats lost. 10%-20% of the boat population stayed in the water, the rest were hauled. Winds were in the 50 knot range with gusts to 75. I thank God for sparing CCSC. Others were not so fortunate and I really feel for others and their losses; loss of more than just boats. 60 miles from the bay, we also got 70+ mph wind gusts. Lost a tree in the front yard (just missing cars and house). The sound of the wind wipping through the trees was deafening and a bit unsettling; it lated for 30 hours; the worst of it was Monday from 6pm until Tuesday at 3am. Something I shall never forget.

Jun 10, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Shelburne
In Vermont Sandy was no Irene, sailed on Saturday and tied off with my regular double mooring pennants, with just minor extra care- no issues. Bringing around for haul out this weekend.

FredV

Oct 16, 2011
Hunter 37-cutter Philadelphia, PA
Fred V - on stands at a marina in Newport, NJ - stood up to Sandy like the champ she is! I'll admit there were a few times when she shook so hard and long during a gust, I thought "Uh oh, this could be it!" and waited for her to roll over. But it never happened, and every time I was able to go back to sleep - light and fitful that it was!

The manager here said we had wind gusts up to 70mph, and the Delaware Bay saw 15+ ft waves. But, except for a new leak in the forward cabin hatch (quickly fixed with a little Gorilla Tape), minor damage to one of the floating docks, and a mess in the parking lot caused by a little flooding (maybe a foot, no more), all is good!

We were lucky, so perhaps now is the right time to look for ways to help others who weren't.

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Hey from Keyport NJ

My home sailing port and raritan bay got absolutely hammered.All the boatyards around the bay nj, and staten island ny side, lower bay and along Hudson lost thousands of boats, My club KYC faired well as compared to others. We are a mooring club and most boats were hauled or out of the area, I don't know who may have been damaged yet as our members are scattered around the bay, at different yards. I myself have been wintering upper hudson, viking marina,Haverstraw area for past 25 yrs, At Viking in peekskill,ny the yard took a hard tidal surge pounding, lots of boats in the yard floating all over. Mostly power boats or boats with a small draft, short jackstands allowed them to float off....I think for maybe the first time I am happy to have a 6'-3" draft. I am high and dry, top was totally stripped of anything that could remotely blow away. I was very lucky to have not been hit by a floater, and there were some doozies, a bathroom, dumpsters,small trailers, boats from 20' to 50', and every kind of debris u can imagine. Our problems are miniscule compared to the strife and damage and heartache caused by this...Red

capejt

May 17, 2004
Hunter 33_77-83 New London, CT
Not bad considering

Serenity Found was one of four boats that rode the storm out at the dock. Happy to report no major damage to the boats although the marina got trashed. I lost both port side stern lines so she drifted onto my neighbors powerboat. Just a few scratches to him but my stern pulpit is going to need some straightening. At least she's still floating!

Status
Not open for further replies.