Rode Courtesy

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Trip line is ok if the anchorage isn't crowded. But then, it isn't needed.
On the contrary, in my case the places it's most necessary for me to use a trip line are also the least crowded. I often sail on a lake that has a lot of sunken trees and branches. I use a trip line there almost always because the anchor very often becomes trapped under a branch. At the same time, there are few people who anchor overnight on that lake and, in four years of sailing there, I've only ever once shared an anchorage with someone. So, it very much depends on circumstances.

Also, no tides on that lake, so no risk of tidal reverse taking me back over my anchor point.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Except when a boat runs over your marker and sucks the line into their prop.
I agree Rick. Just like someone who runs a Red light or Turns into a one way street, not every cautionary notice is understood nor idiot proof.

The posted wish, "I wish there were a way to telegraph your scope when you're anchored."

The buoy sends the message. Like all communication "It takes two to tango"...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So, it very much depends on circumstances.

Also, no tides on that lake, so no risk of tidal reverse taking me back over my anchor point.
True Tedd. No tides but lake sailing has it's demons that can foul a nights sleep at anchor...

In the PacificNW they have names like,
  • Williwaw
  • Chinook
  • Squamish
Winds that can change a peaceful time on the lake or a secluded anchorage in a sheltered fjord into a whirling dervish of confusion.

As a sailor I enjoy the expectation that all the other boaters are as concerned about their boat and survival as I am. They will take heed to the information and signals shared by other boaters or Mother Nature. And when in danger will act in the best interest of all.

I recognize that I have been called a dreamer. So I also consider that others may not be thinking like me and try to deal with outcomes. You are spot on "much does depend on circumstances".

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
This is great, any thread that goes to six pages (hijacked more times than an egypt airliner....). If you have time to read thru it all, I guarantee you, next time you set or weigh anchor, you will have some new thoughts running through your cranium for sure. IMHO, we anchor every year on the San Diego bay for the fireworks show. We go early and get out pretty far towards the channel. Sometimes big power boats try to anchor in front of us, and my wife does the big "wolf whistle" and we give them the WTF sign. "Sometimes the shark goes away.... sometimes it doesnt". I think as far as the thread was intended, they guy who anchored right in front of Mike, new exactly what he was doing, ( I want your view) and that is not common courtesy. And 5:1 or 7:1 scope in most anchorages (15 to 18') shows a lack of knowledge versus safety ratio.. (IMHO). Share the water... it's beautiful. You didnt raise a big stink. That shows class MikeHoncho.

Cheers

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Agree and I, like the douchebag that anchored next to me I the OP, believe I had way more out than needed. I was new to anchoring overnight and the intent of my post was to get perspective.
interetingly enough I anchored almost in the exact spot last night, at 22ft, put out about 60ft of chain. Light breezes all night and, as expected now, didn’t move a inch. It’s a learning process that gets infused with own and others experiences. That is why I cherish this forum so much. It has enables me to start on the right foot and go from crawling to a brisk walk quickly.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Agree and I, like the douchebag that anchored next to me I the OP, believe I had way more out than needed. I was new to anchoring overnight and the intent of my post was to get perspective.
interetingly enough I anchored almost in the exact spot last night, at 22ft, put out about 60ft of chain. Light breezes all night and, as expected now, didn’t move a inch. It’s a learning process that gets infused with own and others experiences. That is why I cherish this forum so much. It has enables me to start on the right foot and go from crawling to a brisk walk quickly.
You may have gone a bit too far the other way. If the wind had reached just 15 knots that (2:4 scope--remember that freeboard is part of the geometry) would have been quite dodgy. The chain would start lifting just over 10 knots. Maybe you knew it would never get that strong. Just food for thought.

The point is that catenary really starts working somewhere around 100 feet of chain. below 100 feet... not so much. It's not just he scope number.

• Helpful