Rocking and Rolling

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
I'm in a marina for the weekend on the Hudson River in NJ and the surge from the river traffic has the boat rocking in the slip so I'm thinking could I take a bucket and hang in from the boom pushed to the port side of the boat to help dampen the effect? maybe a milk crate? :confused: anybody got some input
I remember seeing a product in the West marine catalog and always wanted to buy it but it seemed too pricey

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
I remember the product. Looked like traffic cones stack together. You would hang them from the side and would dampen the rocking when anchored. I bet if you hung a couple of buckets from the rail it might help. You might have to do it between your boat and dock also. Can't hurt.

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
it would help, but it needs to be weighted so it sinks as fast as the boat will rock otherwise the line will still be slack when you need it to be under tension.

As mentioned, they also need to be placed in a set one on each side of the boat, and as close to the point of maximum beam as possible.

Traffic should die down a little over the weekend as they have less commercial traffic going through there, but the ferries will continue to run so it won't be much of an improvment...

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
in sd on my mooring when it got rough i placed a bucket over with a medium to short length line--just long enough to have bucket sit under water and about 10 ft from boat-- and it would stop the wickedness of bouncing on mooring-- should help you, as well. the weight is the water in the bucket--i used a 3 gal bucket-- a 5 gal one might work better.....acts like a flopper stopper.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Rad, when you solve the rocking boat problem ...

and are no longer focusing on the rolling motion, you will then begin to notice how often the helicopters are flying over, so loud that you can't hear yourself think! :doh:

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
set up a bucket hanging off the boom and had the top just above the surface......they all laughed but it helped a great deal

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
set up a bucket hanging off the boom and had the top just above the surface......they all laughed but it helped a great deal
works great in kali storms also... cheap n easy

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Cut out the bottom of the bucket leaving a 2 inch rim of bottom. Cut another round piece to fit over the hole in the bucket and hinge it with some weight on it. You want it to act like a check valve. Sinks quickly and easily but the flap closes and makes lifting more difficult. Larry Pardey did this and called it a flopper stopper.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
but then ye cant use it for anything else--i use my buckets for lots of things-- dish laundry, clothes laundry, rough water relief, boat cleaning, rainwater catchers, fish cleaning rinse....tool stowage for emergency work while underway, datchin gshower water for use as laundry water when i dont catch rain, baja filter home, lotsa stuff....deck rinsing while on anchor...

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
I went looking to get some rocks from the shore near the marina and the dink engine decided to crap out.....FN ethanol,:cussing: thats for another post.
The kitty litter square type buckets work the best in the lazaretts cause the height is the same and no wasted space as with round buckets sitting side by side also small square milk crates work pretty well to keep the contents organized

Attachments

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
mine are the feed buckets made by fortiflex--3 gal each..cant get square litter buckets here... only cardboard boxes...
so iffn ye see any purple, violet or PINK (omg) buckets floating around, they are mine lol.. they nest well and handles are tough. when the handles break i use line to make bucket sea pruf.....

Status
Not open for further replies.