Road trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Did you see my reply to "H37 Draft" where I am going after Blaise. Well I really am. I hope to see several of you as I make my way south to Naples where my stepson lives. The reason is that I lost my mate. Maura passed away on 3/2 after a five year battle with Lou Gehrig's(ALS). So I need to get away, get a sailing fix, and put mega-miles on the bike.

Maura was on a ventilator for the past two years. This meant that she required 7/24 care. Fortunately we were able to afford some nursing help. We had the same wonderful LPN for twenty-six months. She worked 9 to 5, five days a week. And never missed! Of course that meant I always had to be home by 17:00. There are so few who are qualified with the ventilator.

Maura and I met the end of 2006 just before I left with Ed A on a delivery to the Abacos from Tampa Bay. I thought about her a lot on those lonely night watches. I had invited her to sail with me and my racing crew in February 2007 since I had chartered a 3-cabin H460(first picture). Her first time. She had her own cabin, I slept in the salon. :naughty: Then she did the Hudson, Atlantic, and Delaware Bay in August 2007 on m boat. We had dinner in Chesapeake City at the marina(two pictures). The next day I sent her home in a rental car because of choking episodes. The Cleveland Clinic finally told us in November. From that day on Maura never once complained. We went to Ireland August 2008 for me to meet her family. I proposed there, in her hometown pub, Kilshanny, County Clare. Final picture, Maura loved dressing up for yacht club functions.

So now you know the rest of the story. Why it took me so long to get to the projects and finish them. The road trip will help me come to terms. Also helps to have so many sailing friends. When I get back I'll have to work hard for a May splash. My racing buds want me to sail the boat to Chicago so we can do Chicago-Mackinac. Even though Blaise says it is a dog I might just do it.

Attachments

Sep 30, 2010
hunter 33 Hunter Morehead city
Ed, I am sorry to here about your loss, be safe on your journey, Robert

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Sincerely sorry to hear about your loss. We are about 1 meal north of naples. Give us a shout.

Nov 6, 2009
Hunter 37 FL
We are sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers for you and your family.
Bill and Mary

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Wow, Ed, really sorry to hear that. It sounds like you enjoyed her company even for the short time you were together.

Aug 23, 2009
Hunter 30 Middle River MD
Ed none of know how many days we may have, what matters is that we use each one to its fullest. My sincere condolences and should you chose the Chesapeake as part of that route please let me know a meal, a shower and a bed are yours for the asking.

Fair winds and calm seas to you.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Condolences, Ed.. If you find yourself in the Louisiana neck of the woods, come by for a bit. we have a spare bed and chilly beverages and good sailing.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
I am so, so sorry to hear this, Ed. Make the most of your road trip. Looking forward to meeting you some time in the not too distant future.

Jun 25, 2009
Hunter 33 Seabrooke, Houston
Road Trip

I am so, so sorry to hear this, Ed. Make the most of your road trip. Looking forward to meeting you some time in the not too distant future.

Maura is not suffering now, but you are in pain; I am so sorry for your loss, and pray you will endure the days ahead; take comfort we are all thinking of you, all of us who in one way or another have become involved with this forum; if you ever come to Houston, you have a place to stay. Hope we can meet one day, try to take your mind off the sad days and think of the good days

Mar 21, 2010
Hunter 30' al
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Have a safe road trip if you need a place in Tn. to rest please stop.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
The world is made a better place by those who give support and care to others. We salute you.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Luck of the Irish. Maura and you were lucky to have each other. Sorry for your loss. You are a significant member of this group of Cherubini sailors and we sure appreciate all that you share with us. Sail on, Ed!

All the best.
Jim

Sep 26, 2011
Hunter 33_77-83 Cedar Creek Sailing Center, NJ
So sorry for you loss Ed. I never suspected you were going through such a tough time with your admiral. You are quite the captain in a turbulent sea. ALS took my uncle and I know how hard it can be on patient and family. Good bless you and yours.

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 310 Bivalve, Md
I'm sorry for your loss, Ed. You are an important part of this community, have your escape and heal, but please check in when you can.
Marc

FredV

Oct 16, 2011
Hunter 37-cutter Philadelphia, PA
Ed,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll say a prayer for Maura, and wish you all the best on your road trip! If you get anywhere close to Philadelphia, drinks, meals and a bed are yours for the asking ... and maybe just a couple questions about refitting!

Take care, big man.

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
Ed,
I will add my voice to the many who share your pain and wish you well. I am still in Columbus untill the 17th of April, then down to Bradenton to get he boat ready for the Mexico race, which starts the 28th. Let me know if we can get together. Maybe lunch here in Columbus. And I never did call your boat a dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.