Rigid Non-Adjustable Boom Vang

Status
Not open for further replies.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
It appears a non-adjustable boom vang was installed on late models of the 310. I have sail number 307. It has a fixed, non-adjustable vang. There is no adjustment line as seen on earlier models of the 310.

Why would Catalina do this?????? What do they have against an adjustable vang????

KZW

May 17, 2014
I will get out the boat in the next couple of days, take a picture or two and post it. I've seen another late model 310 with the same vang.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
I used to own #273 (or thereabouts) and it had a rigid vang that could only be adjusted by going up to the mast and turning it to lengthen or shorten; it was adjustable just not a convenient way of doing it

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
It appears a non-adjustable boom vang was installed on late models of the 310. I have sail number 307. It has a fixed, non-adjustable vang. There is no adjustment line as seen on earlier models of the 310. Why would Catalina do this?????? What do they have against an adjustable vang????
Quite likely they installed this for in mast furling boats. You can get into a world of hurt with an adjustable vang and in mast furling.
This is a logical presumption; not a statement based on specific knowledge or fact
Regards
Peter

KZW

May 17, 2014
Pictures of the rigid, non-adjustable, boom Vang on my 2005 C310, sail no 307.

It has IMF. There is no adjustment line on the Vang. The line seen in the photo is the Mainsail In line (furling it in the mast).

The second photo is the set of clutches on the port side of the hatch. Left to right is Spin Halyard, Traveler, Jib Halyard, Main Sail In, and empty, where I believe the Vang adjusting line would go if there was such a method to adjust the Vang.

Attachments

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
I have #178 with in-mast furling main but I have the adjustable rigid boom vang with line led back to the starboard side cabin top clutches.

My previous boat had a pretty good roach in the sail and the twist in the top of the sail when off the wind was very apparent. The boom vang was very helpful for that situation.

However, the no-roach sail I have for my 310 is pretty much a perfect triangle and I don't really notice any sail twist when off the wind. For the most part I never adjust my rigid boom vang.

Cheers,
Jim

KZW

May 17, 2014
I have #178 with in-mast furling main but I have the adjustable rigid boom vang with line led back to the starboard side cabin top clutches.

My previous boat had a pretty good roach in the sail and the twist in the top of the sail when off the wind was very apparent. The boom vang was very helpful for that situation.

However, the no-roach sail I have for my 310 is pretty much a perfect triangle and I don't really notice any sail twist when off the wind. For the most part I never adjust my rigid boom vang.

Cheers,
Jim

Jim,

Thanks. After looking around the net, it appears Catalina went to the non-adjustable boom vang for those boats with in-mast furling. It appears to have started somewhere +/- sail number 250. It seems the reason was they wanted the vang to keep the boom at a set angle to the mast to keep the main from jamming as it was rolled in or out.

Given the flat, triangle nature of the in-mast furling main, and your description, I will accept the situation the way it is and move on.

Craig

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Given that 90% of sailors do not adjust their vang in any meaningful way, probably a smart call on Catalina's part.

Mar 10, 2012
Catalina 310 Hull#293 Erie, PA
As CCHER reported, the solid vang on the later 310's with furling main does adjust, but only at the mast. One can rotate the barrel of the vang and it will raise or lower the boom as do all vangs. It adjusts maybe 2-3 inches. But the main furls best with the vang raising the boom above horizontal. I do not use it for sail trim, but probably should. I sail #293.

Mar 28, 2018
Catalina 310, hull #315 Toronto
Late arrival here - have a 310, hull number 315, so obviously the same rigid boom vang with no line. Also a topping lift, which appears to serve no useful purpose. Anyway, got the boat in 2018, it has dodger and bimini, and every time I'd take the mainsail down for winter, I'd notice that the aft end of the boom lowers and starts scraping against the top front of the bimini. In the spring, I'd put the sail back on and the boom would rise just enough to leave about 1/2" of space between the bottom of the boom and the top of the bimini. Well, this spring that didn't happen and now I am thinking of raising the boom slightly - but of course the vang won't allow me to do so. Could someone please explain to the novice where and what I need to turn or twist to raise the aft end of the boom slightly? Same 1/2" should do the trick while not screwing up the in-mast furling.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Late arrival here - have a 310, hull number 315, so obviously the same rigid boom vang with no line. Also a topping lift, which appears to serve no useful purpose. Anyway, got the boat in 2018, it has dodger and bimini, and every time I'd take the mainsail down for winter, I'd notice that the aft end of the boom lowers and starts scraping against the top front of the bimini. In the spring, I'd put the sail back on and the boom would rise just enough to leave about 1/2" of space between the bottom of the boom and the top of the bimini. Well, this spring that didn't happen and now I am thinking of raising the boom slightly - but of course the vang won't allow me to do so. Could someone please explain to the novice where and what I need to turn or twist to raise the aft end of the boom slightly? Same 1/2" should do the trick while not screwing up the in-mast furling.
this is a 10-year old post…..

original posters are in retirement homes :cool:

Greg

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
this is a 10-year old post…..

original posters are in retirement homes :cool:

Greg
Yep, the Original poster was last seen 2 years ago. The last poster in this thread hasn't been here in 9 years.

@MikeToronto try posting this question in Ask All Sailors. You may get a better response.

I'm going to close the thread for future comments because of the thread's age and allow Mike to repost his question in Ask All Sailors.

Status
Not open for further replies.