Righting Moment of the Caravelle?

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Hodgdon Bros. Alden Caravelle Seabrook, Texas
Any of you armchair Naval Architects out there know the righting moment of the Caravelle?

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
Niels Helleberg should have it?

Niels Helleberg Yacht Design
23 Glendale Street
Salem, MA. 01970
T: 617 227 7997
info at aldendesigns dot com

Haven't forgotten the pics Jay...

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Hi Iain,

You are correct. Niels is a most valuable resource. Here is the correspondace I recieved from him:

"Hi Jay,

The 1 deg IMS RM for the sister ship September Song is 1216Ftlbs

Happy holidays,

Niels"

---I've been very busy with numerous projects on BANJO GIRL. ...more than I care to type at the moment but I'll soon share with my fellow Caravelle and Alden owners.

Cheers,
JZ

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It'll be good to see your projects Jayz. What did you want the RM for? It's good to see some interest here as we enter the winter doldrums.

Does anyone know what that figure is for Challengers? I've always wondered how much less it is. with it's keel/cb, than a similar deeper draft boat.

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Hi Tom,

The project list is pretty long. ...a few repairs, a few improments a few what the?!?!?! surprises along the way.

The reason for the queston on RM is that I am planning to eventually change the sailplan a bit to perform better in the light winds that we tend to have more often than not. I've consulted with Niels Hellerberg and am looking at taking the rig up about 6 feet or so and going with a fractional rig sailplan.

I'd be interested in hearing what other Caravelle owners have to say about performance -light air and heavy, trim and weather helm etc.

The Hodgdon Caravelle has a larger J dimension than the Molich boats -at least the Molich yawls but perhaps all of them. In a breeze mine is a sweet sailing boat and tracks like a freight train. She is incredible reaching under spinnaker but under jib and main in light air she suffers. -anything less than about 15 really. With a large genoa she can suffer from lee-helm. I hate lee-helm!

My main which is new may have been cut a little too flat sot hat probably contributes but I think she would really come alive with a taller sailplan. Something similar to Serena that is listed for sale but without the expense of the carbon fiber rig. -just not in the budget.

My thinking is that spar technology has come along way in almost 40 years so I am hoping that I can use a section that is both strong enough and not too heavy as to make her too tender due to the weight aloft. I'll probably convert her to a double spreader rig.

Other than that I have been fixing leaks, replacing chainplates (had the stbd upper chainplate fail a couple months ago) -I'm sure glad it didnt' happen on the delivery home from P.R. off the coast of Haiti or something! I'm going through the plumbing, wiring, varnish work down below etc.

I am forced to rebuild the winch pad due to dry rot and leaks coming into the cabin from old holes from when the previous owner put new winches and cleats without properly sealing off the old holes :x , nor bedding in and core-bonding the holes for the new winches and cleats. :(

Nothing really insurmountable just a bit time consuming. Overall she is a really sound and well built boat just in need of some overdue maintenance, repairs and a few tastefull improvents.

I'll post some photos before too long.

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Re chainplate: which part failed? Do the Hodgdon boats have the same top hat frame system for the chainplates - with a backing plate inside the frame - as the Halmatic hulls have?

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
The Hodgdon boats have a more traditional style chainplate bolted to a glassed up knee.

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Interesting. Off topic, but one of my unsolved historical questions is whether Hodgdon built their own Caravelle mould, or was the Halmatic mould was shipped from England to Maine...?

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Good Question on the mould. I don't know why but I've wondered that too. I can tell you that the hull on mine is extremely fair and shows no indication of exotherming or anything anywhere. I think Niels would know I believe he oversaw construction of the Hodgdon boats.

I got a fair amount of work done this weekend. I should be ready to start applying stain and varnish in the v-birth soon. Hopefully I'll get the broken chainplate installed and check all the others sometime in January. I also plan on removing all the deck hardware Jan/Feb core-bonding any areas that aren't solid glass and probably having the hardware re-plated. -I'd like to find a way to afford having the decks painted while the hardware is off.I will but not $o $ure that will happen... -wonder how hard of a DIY job that could be..

Jun 28, 2004
Here are some figures for a Challenger from an IMS Certificate for Magic (Sail No US-794) from 1983, which I purchased from US Sailing in 2001.(The certificate, that is). The boat was in Fairfield CT when measured, so I suspect it is 949-O - now Fleanna (http://www.fleana.com).

───────────────INCLINING TESTS───────────────────────
AW 65.000 APD 35.000 AWD 18.650 PL 1500.000
BW 130.000 BPD 67.000 BWD 18.650 SMB 21.932
CW 65.000 CPD 35.000 CWD 18.650 RM 926.1
DW 130.000 DPD 68.000 DWD 18.650 RMC 926.1
RM2 981.4 RM20 833.6 RM40 608.9 RM60 382.8
RM90 130.9 CREW ARM (CRA) 4.400
CALCULATED LIMIT OF POSITIVE STABILITY: 106.1 DEGREES
RATIO STABILITY CURVE AREAS, POSITIVE/NEGATIVE 1.366

The RMx figures are for various heel angles; RM is 926.1.

Incidentally, we hope to see you all next summer at a rendezvous, wherever it may be. We also plan to sail in Maine next summer, but so far we haven't made any firm plans, and still have to finish some repairs . . .

Rick