Right size anchor?

Nov 10, 2013
Hunter 22 North Hero VT
We purchased a 1981 H-22 this past fall. She came with an 8 s Danforth anchor. We will be lake sailing, with varied bottom - sand, rock, mud, depending; question is, is the anchor of sufficient size for the boat? Our home port is a marina, but we plan on lots of cruising up and down the Lake - always with an eye/ear on the weather so as not to be caught in a big blow in unprotected locations (Lake Champlain has plenty of islands & protected coves to tuck into when the wind picks up).

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
For the primary anchor, it should be sized conservatively: now it depends upon the type of anchor and the bottom type, but my rule of thumb is to allow ~ a pound per foot LOA to 40’, thus ~20 lb... although danforth's can be sized a bit smaller. I use a 12lb danforth primary anchor.
The secondary anchor should be designed for a wider / different set of bottom conditions.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Unless you're always anchoring in sand or mud with predictable winds, a Danforth should be your secondary or tertiary anchor, IMO.

Ask the other sailors on your lake what they use, or just go get a small-ish Manson Supreme.

I sleep quite well with mine deployed.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
the #8 is more than enough anchor to hold the 22, for holding on the type of bottom it was designed for.
but the problem is that you may not always be over that type of bottom when you want to attach yourself to it.

everyone has an opinion about which anchor they think is best for their boat, but it all comes down to the bottom composition and the weather/water conditions of where you will be anchoring.

see this link to get a better idea of what you think you need, because only you have the best idea of what kind of bottom is in the body of water where you will be anchoring.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
If you are actually anchoring in mud/sand the Danforth is not a bad option. If there is grass/weeds then you better have something else to back you up.

Delta, Manson, Mantus, Ronca.... will work well in various bottom conditions.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
True, danforths have limited effectiveness like any other..most of the bottom in my part of LI Sound is sand and mud.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
True, danforths have limited effectiveness like any other..most of the bottom in my part of LI Sound is sand and mud.
then you should be fine... and without any worries... but just as important as having a good anchor for the type of bottom you are grabbing, a second anchor can save your butt or just add security when you want it.

just because an anchor is expensive, has been thru vigorous testing and is the most highly rated anchor ever produced, doesnt necessarily mean its the right anchor for the job at hand.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
As a matter of fact, I DO carry a second anchor...again it's another danforth... with 10ft of 1/4" G-3 PC chain and 1/2" of 300' of line. Primary is 250' of the same (not a lot of room in the fwd anchor locker).

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Do not forget to add at least 15' of chain. That is what keeps the pulling angle at an adequate level for setting and re-setting.

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
As has been previously stated here, it really depends on the bottom material. For the most part, a danforth is a fine anchor for Lake Champlain, however with the fast moving storms and changing winds associated with them you might feel better with a quick set anchor. My primary is a 22lb danforth. It has served me well in some anchorages and not well in others(couldn't even get it to set in Nichols bay) but I plan to purchase a Rocna or Mason for my primary and use the Danforth for back-up. With that combo, I will feel secure anywhere on the lake.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Hobart;

all good responses but the best advice will be from the old salty dogs.

As a former dealer in North Carolina, I relied on those experienced with the coast particulary five gents who lived at the coast nearly all their lives. Walt always gave me good advice on how to anchor large sailboats in the sounds during storms to include hurricanes and from that I never lost a single boat.

What really remained in my mind was a statement, forget the weekend warriors, listen to the real old salty dogs. Thus, check with those where you sail for the best advice who have been there for many years to include the old timers. Good advice

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
Sorry Hobart, it was early when I saw your post and didn't really answer your original question. "is the anchor of sufficient size for the boat?"
looking at a danforth website the #8 is a 9lb anchor that will hold a 27' boat up to 20 knots. So In theory it is sufficient up to 20 knots, I have seen much higher gusts on the lake. A 45 knot gust blew us off out 22 lb danforth a couple of years ago, fortunately it re-set itself then held through 180 degree wind shifts for the rest of the night.

Btw CDC, I've been boating on this lake for 46 years but I wouldn't consider myself an old salt, actually can one be "salty" in fresh water?:)

Nov 10, 2013
Hunter 22 North Hero VT
So great to have the benefit of the experience of others; thanks to those who took the time to weigh in (no pun intended) on our question; particular thanks to Crazy Dave & Spindrift - salt or no salt, seasoned (as in doing it for a while) is what matters most, and we are grateful to have the benefit of advice from such accomplished sailors.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
On Lake Champlain, we had good luck with a Fortress FX-11, when we had our Hunter 23.5. Most of the anchoring there was in sand or mud and it worked well. Only exception was weedy areas. Weeds and a wind change was a good combination to get it to drag and not reset, so we learned to stay away from weedy bottoms. For your 22, the FX-7 is probably big enough, but either way, the aluminum Fortress is an easy anchor to handle. We are still using the FX-11 on our current boat but will probably add a Mantus to the collection this year. We also have a standard Danforth on board too. BTW, Lake Champlain is a beautiful lake. Enjoy your cruising there.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I like having options, I have a 11lb claw as my primary, a (about) 12lb Danforth as back up and a 22lb claw for a storm anchor. The primary grabs and holds like crazy.
I really like the claw anchors which were designed for and hold North Sea oil rigs in heavy weather. Defender often has Lewmar claw anchors for excellant prices.
I don't worry about latest and greatest but what works for me at my price range.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Spindrift;

To Be or not to Bee, that dar tis Be the question, are you salty or not?

I had to chuckle on this one. Thanks for a good morning laugh.

crazy dave

Aug 5, 2009
Hunter h23 Dallas Tx.
1/2# per foot seems to work well on inland Texas lakes. I use a Bruce claw and have never had a problem here. I use 45ft of chain and 100' of 3/8 line

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
hobartwoodworks;

Lake sailing of course is different in some respects for ocean sailing but any waters with under water obstruction of any kind can always hang up anchors and in the worst case, cutting the line and loose an anchor. So here is a suggestion for overnighting in a cove.

Take a small line with a small buoy or even a fender tied to the back end of the anchor and let it float. If stuck pulling out, go to the fender and pull up. You will be pulling from the back thus pulling the forks out. Never lost another anchor doing that.

Happy sailing.

crazy dave condon

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
hobartwoodworks;

Lake sailing of course is different in some respects for ocean sailing but any waters with under water obstruction of any kind can always hang up anchors and in the worst case, cutting the line and loose an anchor. So here is a suggestion for overnighting in a cove.

Take a small line with a small buoy or even a fender tied to the back end of the anchor and let it float. If stuck pulling out, go to the fender and pull up. You will be pulling from the back thus pulling the forks out. Never lost another anchor doing that.

Happy sailing.

crazy dave condon

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
I am looking at a 9kg (20lb) Bugel spade type anchor as my main rode, do you think this is heavy enough for a H260.
I have tried marking my anchor with a marker bouy, then the next thing is an Italian stallion in his budgie smugglers comes in to the bay/anchorage trying to non muscle into your spot and chops the whole bloody thing up:banghead:. That's when I wish I had chain right to the top:biggrin: