rigging

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
I purchased a 272le 1988 and have been working on it to launch in spring. I took the sails to Doyles sail loft in Dartmouth mass. The mainsail was original and has a few years. The spinackers (2) were fine. The genoa was totally blown out. Having new one made. We talked about rigging and was told a boat this age probably needs new rigging. Does anyone have a 272 this vintage with original rigging. The existing doesn't look bad and I don't want to put too much more into it until I know I like it. any feed back on rigging would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Paul D

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I do not replace rigging based on its age. Careful inspection is important, done a couple times a year and after a heavy weather sail is wise. When my Clipper Marine 26 was 25 years old with original rigging, I sailed her in 50 mph winds with storm sail and full main. No rigging damage or failure. She was a combination saltwater and freshwater boat. Chief

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
I have the 1989 Oday 272 and I went aloft to check my rigging. Looks good so I am not replacing it. Although when the boat goes to the boatyard next year I will have it replaced because I plan on keeping this boat and since it is the original rigging it will give me peace of mind. Actually not sure if is original rigging because it looks very clean, but I have a feeling it is because the boat was hardly ever sailed and in fine shape. If I were you, since you have the mast down I would replace it because you are keeping the boat.