Rigging with Roller furler

Aug 8, 2021
Macgregor 26S Bedford
Hello,

We just purchased a 1992 Macgregor 26s. This weekend I've been practicing setting the mast and figuring out the rigging in my driveway. After a few hiccups we were able to raise the mast using the mast raising system and it went relatively well. My question is in regards to the roller furler. I bought the boat with the jib sail rolled around the roller furler. It appears the jib halyard is run inside the the roller furler. The instructions show something about a pulley being attached near the point on the mast where the forestay is attached but I don't have that. The halyard is looped inside the roller furler assembly. Is this correct? Here are a couple photos.

I do plan on replacing as much of the rigging and hardware as I can as it looks fairly weak. I will probably be posting another questions in regards to that but for now I'm just curious to know if I need some sort of pulley up on the mast.
IMG_1321.jpeg
IMG_1322.jpeg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
...........The instructions show something about a pulley being attached near the point on the mast where the forestay is attached but I don't have that. The halyard is looped inside the roller furler assembly. Is this correct? .................I'm just curious to know if I need some sort of pulley up on the mast.
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

The halyard looped inside the roller furler forestay is correct. As shown on page 6 of the manual the jib hoising rope, i.e., halyard, passing through a pulley near the top of the forward mast support wire and ties off to the cleat on the left side of the mast.

1628518554623.png

Attachments

Aug 8, 2021
Macgregor 26S Bedford
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

The halyard looped inside the roller furler forestay is correct. As shown on page 6 of the manual the jib hoising rope, i.e., halyard, passing through a pulley near the top of the forward mast support wire and ties off to the cleat on the left side of the mast.

View attachment 196996
Thank you. I'm very excited to be part of this community. I'm still confused on the jib halyard. If the jib halyard is supposed to be looped into the Roller Furler forestay, how can I run it around a pulley? As seen in my photos the line is tied to the top of the jib, runs through the top of the Roller Furler, and then runs to the bottom of the Roller Furler but inside with the sail wrapped around it. There is no line exposed to run through a pulley.

Aug 8, 2021
Macgregor 26S Bedford
After looking through the manual again it seems that the instructions apply to boats that do not have the roller furler. This may explain why I had so much trouble raising the mast as the Roller Furler adds considerable weight.

With my Roller Furler set up, and this may or not be standard, the metal forestay is run right through the center of the flat piece in the center that the jib is wrapped around. The jib halyard seems as if its only purpose is to hold the jib to the Roller Furler assembly as the jib is raised and lowered by pulling or releasing the line that is coiled around the bottom Roller Furler assembly. I'm thinking it might be correct as is and that pulley is only if the jib is used without the Roller Furler.

If anyone has photos of their set up I would greatly appreciate it.

Aug 21, 2021
MacGregor 26X Lake Michigan
After looking through the manual again it seems that the instructions apply to boats that do not have the roller furler. This may explain why I had so much trouble raising the mast as the Roller Furler adds considerable weight.

With my Roller Furler set up, and this may or not be standard, the metal forestay is run right through the center of the flat piece in the center that the jib is wrapped around. The jib halyard seems as if its only purpose is to hold the jib to the Roller Furler assembly as the jib is raised and lowered by pulling or releasing the line that is coiled around the bottom Roller Furler assembly. I'm thinking it might be correct as is and that pulley is only if the jib is used without the Roller Furler.

If anyone has photos of their set up I would greatly appreciate it.
New to sailing, but learning. I have a MacGregor 26X with the CDI Furler. I downloaded the CDI Manual and agree that it doesn’t really explain the halyard very well. I set up the mast raising system for the first time today and today unfurled the jib to find it had one hole and one tear so it had to come off.
Untie the small 1/8” line attaching the tack ring of the sail to the roller furler and untie the halyard line that is also attached to the bottom of the roller Furler. You will see i it actually about 12” to 16” from the bottom of the foil. This is the de-corded part of the halyard. Once untied, attach a messenger line to it so you won’t loose it as you pull the sail off. I bought a 50 foot coil of 1/8” line, but any size larger will do.
Now you are ready to pull the sail out. Start by removing the tack end by pushing it up through the slot in the foil. Once that has been freed from the foil, you can start pulling the sail down and out of the foil. As you do this you are actually pulling down on the internal halyard and you will see the tag, or bite end attached to your messenger line going up the foil through a slot-way on the outboard side of the foil. As you pull the sail down, go slowly because it has been up there for a while and my stick so you may have to pull on the messenger line to pull it up a little, then continue to pull the sail all the way off.
Not done yet! Unclip the halyard and tie the tag end of your messenger line to it so you don’t loose it.
I inspected my halyard and it needs to be replaced. I will order one from CDI in Canada on Monday. In the meantime, although it is old, it will still serve its purpose.
I bought a can of WD40 Silicone and sprayed the halyard and the inside and outside tracks of the foil and worked the halyard up and down a few times. Now it travels freely up and down. Over the weekend I will pull up a 110 Genoa. Set the main sail and the boom for my maiden sail voyage during a week day. Weekends are too busy.
Have fun. Hope this helps. Thought I took a picture of the boat with the jib down and the messenger line attached to the halyard. I’ll shoot one tomorrow if you need it.

Attachments