Rigging tightening

Apr 2, 2019
Catalina 27 SAN DIEGO
Is there a way one can overtighten rigging?How do i know whats too tight and whats too loose?Is there some guide of reference specs to go by?Thanks!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I'm sure "tightening the rigging" has somethiong to do with "destinations", but I don't see it. Juat sayin.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Research your boat yes you can over tighten and crush your mast pull chain plates or all that while sailing. it's called preload. And if overdone it will lead to heavy. Sheet load. You don't necessarily need a louse gauge but it helps. Seldon mast has a whole section on mast tuning if u got a newer boat

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
As I've posted before, the tension on the standing rigging is governed by the wire's physical properties. Not by the boat model or desire to make the boat sail better. If you over tighten the standing rigging you will likely bend the boat. You can confirm this by running a chalk line fore to aft. As you over tighten the standing rigging fore to aft the line will droop indicating that the boat is bending. You can do this with an adjustable back stay as well. And with shrouds it would take more over tightening to bend the boat athwartships, but it is possible and at lower tensions most of us would imagine. You can tell you're over tightening, and maybe bending the boat when you take up more turns on the turn buckle and the Loose gauge doesn't show an increase in tension.

Apr 2, 2019
Catalina 27 SAN DIEGO
Thank you so much!
I will definitely look further into this.Some say i need to tighten some say i need to loosen and its driving me nuts! (Not here on the app,but other boaters in the area im in)

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Not necessarily like below. From a purely empirical approach I start with getting the mast straight fore and aft with the backstay and forestay at the dock. You can then tighten the backstay a bit extra to achieve a couple of inches of rake and that will keep the forestay from sagging. Run a tape measure to the top of the mast and check for the same dimension on each side of the boat. That way you know the mast is vertical from side to side. You may need to loosen the shrouds on one side, then tighten the exact same number of turns on the other side. Then go out sailing in 10 knots or less wind close hauled to the wind. Look and see if the leeward shrouds are loose. If so, the goal is not to take out all the slack. Rather, take half out and count the number of turns on each turnbuckle. Then, tack and tighten the new leeward shrouds the exact same number of turns. This will keep the mast centered. Tack back and observe the leeward shrouds. If still slack, repeat the process of removing the slack half at a time and adjusting both sides equally until it is just tight. You can err on the side of a little slack. Stand the boat upright and feel the tension. After a while you might get used to how tight gives the best performance. Wander around and check neighboring boats to get an idea of the range of tension on them as well.

Good luck.

Mast 1.jpg
Mast 2.jpg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
try googling "sailboat mast tuning guide"

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
There's 2 types of tune here, tight San Francisco style and less tight for light air San Diego style, even my rigger and I disagree because I keep my boat SF style. Most notable difference is at 20 kts you might get a little slack on the lowers for the SD tune. Once you get a static tune you toss the gauges and start dabbling in the black art of dynamic tuning, some guys with good ears can use a tuning fork method.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
If you're really lost in all of this or have a new-to-you boat, you can do what I did and hire a local rigger. For a couple hundred bucks, he'll come out and tune your rig (to what he thinks is) perfectly. If you'd like to do it yourself, ask before hiring if he minds you watching and learning. Most riggers I've dealt with, or other competent professionals, have no problem with your watching and learning. I keep mine in-tune myself, but every few years I'll re-hire the same rigger to check me. He also asks about performance, pointing, and helm weight problems I've had, and tries to adjust accordingly.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The Loos product is your friend. Unless you’ve spent the last 40-odd years as a piano tuner.