Rigging the mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Newbie Ray

This is my first boat so looking for hints and help. Just discovered this forum. My mast is on the trailer with the top to the rear. I noticed in the for sale pictures most seem to be the other way, top forward. Is there a best way? I have succeeded in raising the mast with the aid of a telescoping pole with a roller on top in the rudder gudgeons I "invented" to get enough angle to then use a block and tackle on the headstay to raise it. Is there a better way? Ray

B

Bob

Raisin' in the sun

It sounds as though you have worked out a pretty good system - just make sure you have some provision for keeping the mast from falling off to either side as you raise it. I don't think there is a "right" end to have forward, but make sure you have a flag on it if you trailer it and it overhangs much - you don't want the car behind you punching out its windshield on it. Also, secure the stays to the mast every few feet, and put padding (old carpet pieces?) between them and the mast, and anywhere metal bears against fiberglass or wood - the alternative is permanent scars on the softer surfaces.

D

Dan McGuire

Believe Top to Rear is Best

There is one big advantage to having the top of the mast to the rear. The shrouds are usually connected to chainplates to which are slightly aft of the mast step. When raising the mast they will help keep the mast from swaying to one side. If you were raising the mast from a position with the top of the mast forward, these shrouds could not be connected during the mast raising. In addition your invention sounds like a good idea, but it would not work with the top of the mast forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.