rigging on a widgeon

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bob kehoe

i am trying to figure out some of the blocks, etc on my widgeon, perhaps someone can help. there are two blocks, one mounted each side on the foredeck. i originally thought these might be fairleads for the jib, but putting the jib up, they seemed to far forward and i ran the jibsheets through a lead mounted on the back of the cockpit seats about a foot aft of the mast and then to the cleats......is this the correct routing and what are the fairleads up on the deck for? spinnaker? also what is the proper process for releasing and keeping the centerboard in its full down position. i have figured out how to raise it but the two lines to the centerboard seem to counteract one another and i cant figure out how to keep the centerboard full down or is it's weight suppose to keep it there...........thnx bobk

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Well -

First I want to know how slaughter beach got its name. The blocks on deck sound to me like they could be a twing line set up. A line would go through the block with a loop on the end. The jib sheet would run through the loop (or if you are really fancy through a block on the loop) allowing you to really move the jib toward the center of the boat for better pointing ability. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

B

bob kehoe

thanks for the comments justin

thanx for the comments justin. first off, no one knows how slaughter beach got its name......it obtained it sometime back in the 1600's. some people theorize it may have been a place where whales were brought up on shore for processing, but there is no proof of such......we will probably never know..... secondly, with regards to the blocks, you are saying that a loop would be attached to the sheet and you would pull on this in addition to cleating the jib? i am not entirely sure i understand. these blocks are probably about 6" to a foot forward of the mast and i found them to restrict the jib when i tried to use them as a fairlead. even with the storm jib(btw did this boat originally come with a storm jib) it is restricted...btw i got two jib sails with the boat one is about a foot shorter in length along the foot of the sail so i presumed it to be some sort of storm jib........ thirdly on your capsize comment on the other post...fyi the boat had so much water in the cockpit she was only sitting a few inches above the rail when i got it over. the other thing that bothered me was how the bow went up in the air and the stern down instead of just rolling.....i think i am going to have to do a capsize drill a couple of times to discover how the boat behaves........bobk

Status
Not open for further replies.