Rigging on a Hunter 450 1997

Oct 10, 2021
Hunter 450 2 Fort Pierce
Hi everybody, would you know the estimate to replace the rigging on a Hunter 1997? Anybody to recommend near Fort Pierce in Florida? Thank you In advance.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Oct 10, 2021
Hunter 450 2 Fort Pierce
Hi Sfbay, thank you very much for the information. Yes it is the standing rigging labor and material. I will contact your riggers

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I was looking at your query last evening.

There was an article in Cruising World posted in 2020 that suggested on a 40ft boat the cost of the standing rigging could run $100 a foot. This did not address the labor. Further the cost goes up exponentially as you increase the size of the boat. Complicating this is the current costs of materials is escalating making old estimates obsolete.

When I hired my rigger to do my 42 ft mast the 2016 costs were estimated at $7500, the bill came in just over $11,000. I had more work done than just changing out the shrouds. It was a total refit Boom/Mast, hardware, spreaders and Shrouds/stays. I now know the level of workmanship and condition of the mast and all rigging. This is a comforting thought when I take my boat out on the open water and into the conditions Mother Nature may direct my way.

I think your questioning local riggers is a great direction.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
would you know the estimate to replace the rigging on a Hunter 1997?
A question back to you...

What makes you think your Rigging needs replacement?
A boat survey?

But as @sail sfbay noted, a good Rigger might survey your boat.
Jim...

PS: My 1998 Hunter rigging is in great shape.

Oct 10, 2021
Hunter 450 2 Fort Pierce
Hi JamesG161, I don’t know yet , but the rigging is original 1997. I just want to be prepared in case.There will be a full survey of course.
Thank you all for your quick response

Oct 10, 2021
Hunter 450 2 Fort Pierce
And by the way, a boat yard, Craker Boy Works in Fort Pierce asked me on top of the regular Haul out, Blocking to 5 draft and yard storage a supplement of 50 Dollars per foot of draft over 5 for the blocks !!! Is it standard practice? Have you got another boatyard where I can do the bottom job and change the cutlass bearing? Thank you

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
Almost finished with my h410 standing rigging. No total final bill yet.
But already 5,000 down for the basic rigging, 1500 yard bill, 220 each way for hoist & 88 per lay day in yard, needed 12 days. Labor bill coming but I prepped everything and am putting everything back together now that mast is up.
I also added new radar, inner forestay with furling, solid vang, deck hardware.
It's going to be a small fortune when it's all added up.

Oct 10, 2021
Hunter 450 2 Fort Pierce
Hi Windpilot, It will be great ! Was it difficult to install an inner forestay with furling ? Can you itemize the bill for the forestay ? Where did you do the work?

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
Hi Thaelia,
Funny I just wrote seatek, here in S.CA, to send the final bill, I'll see the inner forestay tomorow. Easy, except I concerned, and may still beef up the chainplate, there was no embedded steel in the spot for the chainplate, should be easy enough to put in a bigger backing/plate since I have decent access.
Boatyard was Windward Yacht Center, expensive land, lol

Oct 10, 2021
Hunter 450 2 Fort Pierce
Hi Windpilot,
Did you get your final bill?
I had a rigging inspection yesterday with the company Nance and Underwood and they found a thread broken at the top of the mast and some corrosion. The plastic rail on the mast to hoist the main sail is damaged by the sun. The present owner never used the main sail and only motors to the Bahamas since 2005. I will get the report on monday. They will recommend to change the rigging if I want to sail ….

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
Still no rigger bill, not completely done, always a hang up and need tuning while on a sail.
Will PM you the parts bills though.