Rigging issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

J. McDougall

I just purchased a c and c that was sitting in someone's yard for forever. I know next to nothing about rigging and would like some advice/photos of what it should look like. The back stay has about 4 feet to go before it reaches the eyes where I believe they go. I am wondering if there are any turnbuckles or something that goes there; to the best of my knowledge it doesn't look like any hardware is missing, but the 4 feet of missing something puzzles me. Thanks for any imput.

D

D. Dickman

back stay

Hi J. You probably have some type of back stay adjuster that is missing. Several possibilities. On my C & C 29, I have a simple rig that includes a long stay from the mast that terminates about 9 feet above the deck to a V shaped spread. Their is a split back stay adjuster on the V stay. The V stay attaches to turnbucles on both port and starboard stern eyes. The adjuster has a separate 7/16 line that attaches to a fiddle block with cam and becket. The fiddle block is attached to a separate stern pad eye mounted near the starboard turnbuckle for the V stay. Shortening of the adjuster line tightens the backstay (upwind sailing) and loosening slackens the backstay (down wind sailing). Other arrangements include hydraulic backstays that do not include a V stay and split block, but have a single stay and adjuster attached to a pad eye centered on the stern, or to a chain plate attached to the stern. Hope that helps! David

D

David Risch

Rigging

Most likely the Navtec hydraulic backstay adjuster is missing.

J

J. McDougall

Thanks for the imput..

Thanks, that does help a lot; is it possible to get a picture of yours to see exactly what this looks like? I'll dig around in the hull to see if I maybe overlooked these parts. I have probably a dozen other questions, this boat and owner need help. Do you know anything about dagger boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.