rigging Hunter 25

Db421

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 34 1986 Lake Lanier, GA
Ready to launch my H25 which has been on the hard for 2 1/2 years. I don't remember if the upper shrouds were seized to the spreaders with wire or not. There should be a hole through the spreader in addition to the slot to effectively connect the shroud to the tip of the spreader.

I have new boots that I will put on before I have the mast lifted, but I'm concerned about the shrouds slipping out of the slot as the mast is being raised. Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Db421

Jun 7, 2004
Here are the pics.

The tips have a slot that positions the shroud, but there is no provision to seize the shroud to the tip.

I've done a lot of research on this and many people believe that the shroud should be seized to the tip in order to maintain the proper spreader angle. The spreaders are set into a rigid socket that sets the proper angle. No amount of fastening between the shroud and the tip is going to change that. In fact, the shroud should be allowed to slide in the notch at the tip to allow for tuning. The only reason I'm thinking about seizing the shrouds is to keep them in place during the raising. If the slip out when the mast is half-way up I'm in deep trouble. I'm hoping the mast boot (last pic) will be enough to keep it all together.

Has anyone else dealt with this situation?

Thanks again for the help!

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Here are the pics.

The tips have a slot that positions the shroud, but there is no provision to seize the shroud to the tip.

I've done a lot of research on this and many people believe that the shroud should be seized to the tip in order to maintain the proper spreader angle. The spreaders are set into a rigid socket that sets the proper angle. No amount of fastening between the shroud and the tip is going to change that. In fact, the shroud should be allowed to slide in the notch at the tip to allow for tuning. The only reason I'm thinking about seizing the shrouds is to keep them in place during the raising. If the slip out when the mast is half-way up I'm in deep trouble. I'm hoping the mast boot (last pic) will be enough to keep it all together.

Has anyone else dealt with this situation?

Thanks again for the help!
You're welcome, and thanks for the photos.

You could replace those tips with better ones...

Db421

Jun 7, 2004
No, there's nothing wrong with the tips. I'm just wondering if anyone else see's the need for seizing. I don't think I do, I'm just a little nervous about the shrouds popping out during the raising. I honestly don't think they werfe seized to begin with. Just don't remember.

Dec 29, 2010
Hunter 25.5 Point Venture, TX
The reason a shroud should be seized (fastened) to the end of the spreader is to keep it from popping out when underway. On a beat in heavy air it is not at all uncommon for the leeward upper to be very slack. If it pops out (and you don't notice it) you will lose the rig on the next tack.

Db421

Jun 7, 2004
Good point egodsey, has anyone with this same rig noticed that their tips were unseized?

Dec 29, 2010
Hunter 25.5 Point Venture, TX
I bought my Hunter 25.5 in 2011. When I dropped the mast to trailer the boat back to Texas I found that the shrouds were not properly seized. Not seizing the shrouds is one of those things you can get away with, but you do so at your own peril.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I bought my Hunter 25.5 in 2011. When I dropped the mast to trailer the boat back to Texas I found that the shrouds were not properly seized. Not seizing the shrouds is one of those things you can get away with, but you do so at your own peril.
Are your tips similar, egodsey?

Db421

Jun 7, 2004
I could drill a small hole in the spreader near the tip to pass the seizing wire through, but I'm a little reluctant to do so. egodsey, you have put the fear of God into me but I can't see why there was no provision for seizing originally. I've sailed this boat for 17 years without even thinking about it. It was only when I started prepping the mast that it occurred to me that this could be an issue.

Again, wondering if any Cherubini h25 owners have run across this?