RIGGING HELP

Nov 30, 2015
macgregor 26x jonesboro
My wife and I are going to retire soon on a mac26x. We lived and sailed a boat many years ago. We are looking for someone to help replace some rigging and help us learn more about the rigging and sailing this boat. I am an engineer and do everything myself. I would like someone with recent sailing and rigging experience to help. I can pay for their time or trade services. I can do ANY mechanical or electrical repair or installation. I have designed and installed LARGE solar systems. Any help or advice would be great.. THANKS in Mobile, Al.

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
The best thing you can do is pick up a copy of The Complete Riggers Apprentice by Brion Toss. The book is very informative, theory and practice. I believe Brion also has a consulting service. You can google his website. I have no connection, other than learning a lot from his book and re reading it every year.
IMHO. if you need a stay or shroud replaced, the majority of cost saving will be Removing and reinstalling the shroud, which is just clevis pins and cotter pins. Taking it to a rigging shop to actually swage the ends on. That requires "professional" machinery. You should be able to drop the mast on a 26 X fairly easily. I had an older 2-22, and I do miss being able to drop the mast whenever I wanted.
Lou

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
AL,
Like Lou said, step the mast (should be easy enough) pull the shrouds and have them replicated. If you really like DIY, get the swageless fittings and make them yourself. A little more expensive at first by the ends are reusable so the next time will be fairly cheap.

Don

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
My wife and I are going to retire soon on a mac26x. We lived and sailed a boat many years ago. We are looking for someone to help replace some rigging and help us learn more about the rigging and sailing this boat. I am an engineer and do everything myself. I would like someone with recent sailing and rigging experience to help. I can pay for their time or trade services. I can do ANY mechanical or electrical repair or installation. I have designed and installed LARGE solar systems. Any help or advice would be great.. THANKS in Mobile, Al.
The Mac26x owner's manual will give you most of the information you need.... google "Mac26x owner's manual"

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
You can have your standing rigging custom made by certified pros and probably save a BUNDLE by finding an industrial rigger in Mobile. It saved me 70%. To read about cost vs. DIY, some tips on wire rope selection, turnbuckles, and how to recognize professional workmanship, see Standing Rigging Replacement on my blog.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Shapeshifter;
Although you are an engineer and want to learn, there are two things needed. First there are tools that you would have to purchase for a one time event which can be expensive whether swaged, crimped or use of Norseman style fittings, there are also many things or tricks to doing this type of work. I would suggest from the standpoint as a retired sailboat dealer and rigger, that you spend a few bucks for a one time event saving money and have the work professionally done. One mistake, you can loose your mast with possible injury and I have seen that happen quite a bit over the years.

Dec 13, 2010
Hake 32RK Red Bank
My advice would be to unstep the mast, remove all of the standing rigging and take it to a professional shop or original manufacturer to duplicate. The only hard part, the really important part, is making sure that the wire is appropriately mated to the fittings and is of the correct type and size (strength). This takes special information, skill and equipment. The rest is laborers work and, as a retired engineer, I can attest that it is easily done! I lost a lower shroud sailing through the Windward passage earlier this year--not a fun event. But we saved the rig and motored on through the Bahamas to Florida where I hauled the boat and replaced all of the OEM standing rigging myself-even though the boat is only 5 years old!

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
On my previous boat (Clipper Marine 23) when I took the rigging to a top quality yard they noted that toggles which would allow bend free alignment of the ends had never been included in the set up and recommended the replacements include them. If I had just replaced like for like the same set up would have been replicated because I did not know any better. I also followed their suggestion to go up one size.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Because he is a pro who has selflessly served us all on this site for years, I would give extra weight to Crazy Dave's response.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
ShapeShifter, are you talking about help with your standing or running rigging?