Rigging help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2012
hunter 170 Shelbyville
Need a little help with the rigging. Just bought a used 170 from a dealer that wasn't a sailboat dealer that took it in on trade. They couldn't help me with the rigging at all. Can anyone post a pic of the mainsail reefing? I've found the two green sheets, but they were in the storage bag/net, and I need to see how they are routed. Already ordered the Johnson levers and some quick-release pins, so I'm almost there!

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
Wish I could help you, I ended up rigging my own. When I bought mine, there was no reefing hardware on the boom. Do you have appropriate blocks/cleats or is this starting from scratch?

Nothing magic about the 170 reefing, if appropriate H/W is not in place it's pretty easy to set up up your own system. Let us know what you have and I'm sure we can guide you through the setup process.

Jul 4, 2012
hunter 170 Shelbyville
I believe I have everything there. I have the block and cleat on the boom, two green 1/4" lines, and two very short white 1/4" lines. I understand on the aft part of the boom to tie off one of the green lines on the port bale, up through the reefing clew, down through the block to the cleat on the starboard side. On the mast, the other green line from a cleat on the port side, through the grommet, to the cleat on the starboard side. Do the two short white lines just gather the sail at the two grommets in the middle of the sail? I believe you DO NOT attach these to the boom, leaving it loose-footed? I hope I have it right.

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
Sounds like you have it correct. Here's an image that should be close to your setup:
http://www.chipford.com/graphics/Reefing_diagram.gif

The short lines do function to gather the sail and the intention is to leave it loose-footed. It really does not matter, however, as the foot is usually tight in reefing conditions.

I recently participated in an event where preperation required adding a second set of reef points. I can vouch for the fact that the 170 can handle 20 knots + when propery prepped!

Status
Not open for further replies.