Rigging for racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

peter nelson

i am getting ready to purchase a 92 35s5 and race it in the puget sound of seattle. does anyone have polars or target speeds for the boat? how do you tune the standing rigging? currently it is set up with a LOT of mast pre-bend. i was thinking of easing the uppers and/or tightening the lowers to get the mast to stand up straighter, then use the running backstay to control mast bend. is that a good idea? i haven't seen the owner's manual, but will it come with loos gauge guidelines for the standing rigging?

J

Jose Pagan

General Beneteau Rig Tuning

Dear Peter: By the by, did you and compete in Hobi Cat racing in the North West? With respect to tuning a Beneteau rig: Beneteau uses dicontinuous shrouds in their boats, making the tuning a bit more complex so it is critical to follow a specic sequence and know the tension applicable to your size wires. With everything slack: 1. Put the lower shrouds under tension, reversing the mast. 2. Put the rig under tension with the upper shrouds to straighten out the mast, spreaders should be angled back and the forestay should become tensioned. 3. Adjust the back stay. 4. Adjust the intermediate shrouds. Sail the boat in medium air, about 15 mph winds and ck. for slack on your leward shrouds. I recommend you use a Loos model pt-3 gage. You have alot of lattitude regardin how tight or loose you may set the rig. You can for ewxample adjust a 9mm cable to 7% of its breaking strength to 22%. Peter, if you contact me at gosail@att.net I will give you more information. Jose Pagan

Status
Not open for further replies.