Rigging attachment question

Dec 10, 2021
Watkins Seawolf Marathon
Hello everyone. New to the forum and ready to learn! Just started my liveaboard adventure and wondering what these are. I have them attached to two of my stays.
8B7F407B-9939-44A7-8075-87259F2ED94C.jpeg

thanks!

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Do you see a small block on the bottom of the spreader above this? If so, you need to figure a safe way to get a line through the block.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Those are possibly attachments for blocks. Hard to tell from the detail of the picture.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
How is life in Marathon? I have always enjoyed staying there. I found the safety and convenience of the moorings to be better than the chaos of the old anchorage.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
Those are usually flag halyard cleats. There would likely be a small block on the underside of the spreader above.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
The eyes on the spreaders look like they'd be good to rig bullet blocks for flag halyards. A radar reflector wouldn't fit between the fitting and the shrouds though. Are there others further outboard on the spreaders? You would want those set inboard far enough for the radar reflector to clear the shrouds. You may not need a radar reflector too much in Florida, however.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Never put them on the forward lower shrouds where they can snag sheets. It is safer to mount them on the inside of the middle or aft wire to lessen the snag possibility, and give a cleaner run to the flag halyard blocks on the spreaders. You can use those shroud cleats anywhere you find a need... I have one on my backstay for my national ensign with the small, upper halyard block clamped farther up the wire.(Btw, always fly the national ensign, i.e. your country's flag, from the stern or farthest aft location on the boat,... never, never from the flag halyards on the spreaders).
Also, the width size in inches of your national ensign should approximate your boat length in feet. So if you have a 30 footer, try to find a flag close to 30 inches wide. It doesn't have to be exact, just close.. 16x28 for example.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
That's a combo shroud cleat. The cleat version is used as mentioned before to tie off a spreader halyard used for burgees or reflector. The eye on top is for your main halyard when not in use. Keeps the slapping down..

ALSO, I'd turn it around so it's inboard on the shroud...

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Add Q flag and courtesy flag for when you cross to the Bahamas, for instance. We also found placing our Wifi hotspot in a small container and hoisting it, gave us better coverage on remote islands.

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
Drones are really cool you can take a picture of things at the top of the mast, on the spreader, or anywhere else that is unreachable.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
In addition to shroud cleats, strategically located rail cleats are very handy... I added several of these to my H26 and used them to hang bumpers

1639583519692.png

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
strategically located rail cleats are very handy.
While they are "handy" caution in their use might be a consideration. You are attaching lines to a stanchion. The primary purpose of the stanchion is to suspend a lifeline in the air, the last hope of staying on the boat in an emergency. By design a stanchion is not a strong point on a boat. Most are weakly attached to the deck without strong backing plates.

Attaching a line to a cleat attached to the stanchion positioned a fair distance from the deck, gives the opportunity for a small bit of force on the line to demonstrate the effects of leverage on the stanchion base and fasteners in the deck. A flailing jib sheet in a 15knot breeze, hooking onto the ear of a cleat might not be pretty.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
While they are "handy" caution in their use might be a consideration. You are attaching lines to a stanchion. The primary purpose of the stanchion is to suspend a lifeline in the air, the last hope of staying on the boat in an emergency. By design a stanchion is not a strong point on a boat. Most are weakly attached to the deck without strong backing plates.

Attaching a line to a cleat attached to the stanchion positioned a fair distance from the deck, gives the opportunity for a small bit of force on the line to demonstrate the effects of leverage on the stanchion base and fasteners in the deck. A flailing jib sheet in a 15knot breeze, hooking onto the ear of a cleat might not be pretty.
As happens often, John is right. :)
But I would also add that a welded SS stanchion base should hold as well as any cleat.... IF it has a large backing plate beneath and the fastening holes are thru solid resin.
Ours were constructed that way, with full size ss backing plates underneath.
And for sure, I would never tie a mooring line anywhere above that base bracing, but like securing to a shroud base it should hold just fine with no concern (except maybe chafe).

BTW, I have added double bracing struts to all of our midship stanchions -- lucky us, we have a slotted alum. toe rail to bolt to.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
As happens often, John is right. :)
But I would also add that a welded SS stanchion base should hold as well as any cleat.... IF it has a large backing plate beneath and the fastening holes are thru solid resin.
Ours were constructed that way, with full size ss backing plates underneath.
And for sure, I would never tie a mooring line anywhere above that base bracing, but like securing to a shroud base it should hold just fine with no concern (except maybe chafe).

BTW, I have added double bracing struts to all of our midship stanchions -- lucky us, we have a slotted alum. toe rail to bolt to.

So just to be sure we are not confusing an apple for an orange.... I did say I hang bumpers from my rail cleats. I would never attach a dock line to anything other than a true cleat. Seems kind of obvious but maybe it needed to be said. The stress against the bumper is still transfered to the gunwale in exactly the same way as if you attached your bumper to any other area on the rail.