Rig tuning and feathering prop

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harvey Hoefer

Just for the undecided out there (Iwas one for years) Re-tuning my rig and changing to a MaxProp has changes the boat's performance big time! I had too much mast rake and a fixed 2-blade prop. The changes are amazing, which I think, are even more pronounced by the tuning of the rig than the MaxProp, although: In light winds (2 to less than 3 bft) the boat now goes easily 6.5 kts (clean bottom provided!)vs 5.5 before. In stronger winds she is easily controllable, in 5 to 6 bft she has some weather helm but not at all excessive as before. Great Sailing! Lee

J

John Lubimir

Rg Tuning

Thats a fantastic improvement in performance (nearly 20%). You are right- its most likely due to the adjustment of the rig. When you reduced the mast rake, you also moved the draft of the sail aft, providing better shape and airflow. You can further improve light wind performance (if you have a loose-footed main) by easing the outhaul and closing the leech. Also, by reducing mast rake, you are easing luff tension of your jib, another performance benefit in light air. Enjoy the Bay- I am originally from the City but only get out there 4-5 times a year- have never had the chance to sail on the Bay but the wind usually looks great. Regards, John Lubimir S/V Sabrena (Sabre 38)

H

Harvey Hoefer

Rig tuning and changing to feathering prop

Thanks, John, for your good information. What we also did was, while removing the rake we moved the mast top forward about 5", which is a lot for this size mast,but it was leaning much too far aft. Now the center of effort has moved forward which I assume is the reason why she has a lot less weatherhelm. The MaxProp appears to perform well in forward, about the same as the fixed 2-blade I had before, but in revers it is very different story. Now she stops a lot faster, and I have basically no prop walk, so backing up is a breeze. I have heard that the 32 is one of the best sailing Sabres for her size. I have sailed a 38 before and I have to agree. But, again, one can see how different the same boat performs depending on above facts. Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.