Rig tension O'day 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Reed

After 10 years sailing Mcgregors,22catalina,and Endless Summer,our O'day 26.I have always set the standing rigging till it feels right. not to tight not to loose. does anyone know the proper amount of tension for the upper & lower shrouds. Fore & aft stays............Terry, thanks for the link on the Hyde streamstay.

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

'til it feels right

Bill - There really in no magic right answer to your question. The right rig tension holds the mast in column laterally without overstressing the hull or driving the mast through it. If you have an adjustable backstay, the right rig tension up-wind is zero to very little headstay sag and enough backstay tension to pre-bend the mast just the amount your mainsail wants while beating, and just enough to hold the rig up and allow the genoa to baloon very slightly down wind. If your backstay is not adjustable then you want the best compromise between these. As you would guess, these settings are hugely dependant on your sails and particular boat. I would suggest starting with your 'about right' rig settings then making gradual changes and sail testing them to see what makes the boat faster or point better. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

B

Bill Reed

Justins response rig tension

Justin, thanks for your response.The feels right method has always worked, I know some manufacturers specify a specific # inch pounds per 1 inch deflection at 4 feet above deck on the shrouds. I am by no means a perfectionist,it's just that i have thought about this many a summer's night while on the hook.......need to get a tension gage.

D

Dick Lemming

Original rigging instructions

Just for your info, the original rigging instuctions for the O'Day 26 says handtight on the lower sidestays and handtight plus one turn for the upper sidestays, forestay and backstay.

Status
Not open for further replies.