Ridiculous boat ad photos

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
We once had an ad in our classifieds that showed the salon table with a half-empty bottle of whiskey, a box of saltines, and a Soldier of Fortune magazine. Although that might have been staging, I suppose...
No Lucky Strikes?

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
I always enjoy the ones with booze bottles, half eaten plates of food and random wires running all over the place, maybe a can of Bon Ami and a scrub pad to show good intention.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former dealer along with many other dealers, we saw a lot. Once I was asked to consider a 22 foot sailboat with a black and pink painted surface inside the cabin with wall mount candles as the DC lighting had been removed. The hull was a bright yellow. I declined that trade in and thus they drove off. Once out of sight, I laughed so hard I had to call the other local dealers. Yes several already saw it declining a trade.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Every now and again you see these really ridiculous boat ad photos.... This one made me laugh out loud

View attachment 172795
I've always been amazed by the careless eyes behind the lens of Boat for Sale ads. This one at least is an attempt at 'styling the photo'. But the owner is either just a live-aboard and non-sailor (in which case it could work), or a sailor being cheeky(in which case it doesn't work).

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When I am looking at boats, I try to look past all that “staging” stuff. It will just get cleared away, hopefully by the seller. Or it will be in the cleanup trash bin like the individuals do who bid on storage lockers.

When I bought my boat the interior was mostly empty. It was when you opened the storage lockers that stuff appeared. A $4000 new in box heater uninstalled, An inflatable dinghy in good condition, etc.

A dining room candelabra gives me a laugh. Motivates me to look at the critical elements of a boat, and ignore the distractions. This boat may have some funky wiring. Wonder if they used wire nuts.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It all looks photoshopped... missing things that are needed in a sailing boat. But it comes with inflatable ;)
Good one, Larry.

Now that you mention it, that image does look photoshopped. The horizon is suspect, too perfect. Makes me think the boat was pasted into the background.

And the girl, definitely. Click the photo and zoom in on her fingers in a close up. Phony.

In today's world of phony news you have to be a sleuth.