Ridding the rattle with in-mast furling, when no sail is installed (winter slip with bubble, lifestyle question)

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 473 Salem, MA
Tried to cover the call for help in title. We live on our Beneteau 473 through the winter, in Boston and take our sails down for cleaning and storage. Is there a smart way to settle down the rattling, or a piece of equipment, for the parts rattling inside the mast?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I use the halyard to pull the upper swivel about half way up the mast. Tie another line to the swivel to be able to pull it back down in the spring. That cuts down on the banging, not to zero but better. I’ve heard about other tricks like putting pool noodles in the slot to help too.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've used a pool noodle in non-furling mast. I imagine you could run it up about half way up with the upper swivel and also be able to retrieve it.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I use the halyard to pull the upper swivel about half way up the mast. Tie another line to the swivel to be able to pull it back down in the spring. That cuts down on the banging, not to zero but better. I’ve heard about other tricks like putting pool noodles in the slot to help too.
EXACTLY! The PO also had a cover for the groove made out of two industrial belts sewn together in the center. Our baby wails like a bansee if the wind is right and I could hear her a half mile away.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I tied a line to the top swivel and upped
It half way up the mast then secured the line at the end of the boom pulling the main sail foil. Had to play with the height a bit but finally eliminated most of the rattle. I thought about some type of sleeve.... material
Or foam
Like noodle that you could pull
Up but haven’t got that far. Hate to have something jam in there. It does
Make a lot of racket.

Good luck
Greg

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
When had my sail out for a few months while waiting for a fuller part, I fed several plumbing insulation sections up the furling rod. That eliminated the racket. Plumbing insulation is similar to a pool noodle but smaller in diameter and about $2.50 for an 8’ section.