Review of 303 High Tech Fabric Guard for Sunbrella

Sep 11, 2015
Beneteau 43 Sense San Francisco Bay
I bought a gallon of 303 High Tech Fabric Guard because our bimini was leaking like a window screen. Have to say it's wonderful and does exactly what it is supposed to. The day after I applied it we had rain. All day. Not one single leak. Expensive at around $60 but it covered our dodger, bimini, and the filler between the two with enough left to do the hatch covers. Easy to use, READ THE DIRECTIONS. Keep it off your gelcoat and wood and windows. Did not leak through the canvas as I rolled it on with a paint roller. I have ordered a second gallon and plan to to the cockpit cushion covers after taking them to the laundromat. Do not apply to covers that are on the cushions. No change in color or feel of the canvas.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Zeus, you rolled it on as like painting a wall? Is spray on better or roll on? I'm planning to wash and coat my bimini and had always sprayed on. It doesn't leak but water doesn't bead up like the commercial claims.

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
Zeus, I was hoping to put some of this on the upholstery that came with the boat but the covers are now on the cushions and I don't want to remove them. Is it advised to not do so because it cause harm to the foam?

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
If you've silk film between cushion and cover i suppose it wont soak through. However 303 Fabric Guard is not meant for cushion use... I think.

Sep 11, 2015
To me canvas is canvas so I will do the cushion covers. They were custom made and cover closed cell foam.

Yes I rolled it on with a paint roller. The directions led me to believe it should not be sprayed. Mentioned not pressurizing or atomizing and since the wind never truly stops did not want to contaminate the Bay or meighboring boats.

I did not check for beading but it did not leak.

Sep 11, 2015
I am assuming it might harm the foam even though it did not actually come through the canvas on the bimini. My cushions have five years of coal dust from the port and salt on them and the directions said apply to clean canvas. I am too lazy to scrub by hand.

Mar 3, 2009
Beneteau 49 Atlantic City, NJ
After cleaning my interior cushions with the upholstery attachment of a carpet cleaner, I applied the 303. The material, not Sunbrella, was on the open cell foam for both cleaning and the application of the 303. I used a spray bottle as the material was to porous to use a paint brush. Brushing on was not giving good coverage. Any liquid now beads off the cushions and the material feels the same as before the 303.

303 is a fabric guard that is approved for use on Sunbrella. It is used on many other types of fabrics. When applied to car seats it is applied to the material over the foam. It is important to make sure the material and foam is dry before applying.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Zeus, I think what Ken is suggesting is that 303 is not that nice to sit on due to its chemical composition and what it might do to your skin.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We roll on ANY (you get what you can get down here) fabric waterproofer onto our Bimini about once a year. They all seem to be about the same, doing exactly what they advertise. We also roll it on with the small rollers. It's much easier to control the quantity going on and the 'overspray', so to speak, with the roller than the sprayer. A brush is just too tedious.
Very good point, Bill.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I spray on and use a foam roller too after spray on very heavy and go over it with foam roller.
Nick

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Would be interested to see if you don't see increase streaking and staining on your adjacent gelcoat after use of this stuff. I stopped using it after I had deposits show up on my cabin top and cockpit which I assessed was from weathered waterproofing chemicals. After 3 years no annual use I no longer see that kind of staining. Had to compound it off.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I did the gallon container, too, but put it in their spray bottle. It gets tiresome pulling the spray trigger, so I did it in batches. Yes, it can blow away, so keep the sprayer close to the fabric- or wait for a better day. It will get totally used eventually. I found you need to apply it until the fabric turns dark from saturation.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Would be interested to see if you don't see increase streaking and staining on your adjacent gelcoat after use of this stuff. I stopped using it after I had deposits show up on my cabin top and cockpit which I assessed was from weathered waterproofing chemicals. After 3 years no annual use I no longer see that kind of staining. Had to compound it off.
I haven't noticed any of that, but even if I did, I doubt we'd trade a dry cockpit for some esthetics.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I did the gallon container, too, but put it in their spray bottle. It gets tiresome pulling the spray trigger, so I did it in batches. Yes, it can blow away, so keep the sprayer close to the fabric- or wait for a better day. It will get totally used eventually. I found you need to apply it until the fabric turns dark from saturation.
Be sure to use one of the 303 spray bottles. The spray mechanism is damaged with regular bottles. Also, VERY IMPORTANT, do not spray or over-spray on any vinyl windows. It does permanent damage to them. Shield the wndows from any over-spray otherwise the vinyl will become less clear and have wavy transparency.
FWIW, I use the StarBrite brand canvas waterproofing product and have found it to be equivalent to the 303.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
The directions led me to believe it should not be sprayed. Mentioned not pressurizing or atomizing and since the wind never truly stops did not want to contaminate the Bay or meighboring boats.
I bought some 303 in a trigger spray bottle just to do my main sail cover. You know, like a spray bottle of bathroom cleaner. It was sold IN the spray bottle. So, I don't know that you shouldn't spray it. But your point about not blowing all over the boat is well taken. Mine was done in the basement hanging from a clothesline. :D

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I'm not on the boat, so I can't read the instructions on my bottle, but I thought I remembered a specific instruction NOT to overwet the material, but instead use light coverings.

Sep 11, 2015
I can't take it home. The boat is home. Besides, the stitching is giving up and the zippers are salted. I miss having a garage. And a dishwasher. And a washer and dryer. And a human-sized shower.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I can't take it home. The boat is home. Besides, the stitching is giving up and the zippers are salted. I miss having a garage. And a dishwasher. And a washer and dryer. And a human-sized shower.
But Zeus
You live on the San Francisco Bay. What a view. You have a Beneteau 43 foot boat. There are folks who would give up a toe nail to have a 30 foot boat. You can find a local to help with dishes... or eat out. Garages just attract clutter. as far a Shower, rig up a sprayer in your cockpit and go to town - Shower on deck. Your in a place where such behavior is considered normal. If you are embarrassed head across the harbor to Berkeley. Maybe a dishwasher will come off the campus and join you in the shower.

Sep 11, 2015
Yeah, you are right. Pretty hard to take living here. We do have a separate shower with a plexi door but it only measures 26" square. Hard on the elbows and can't shave my legs because I can't bend over in it. We are in the East Bay so look directly at the SF cityfront. I actually use the showers on shore. Shower on deck? Are you nuts? It's frigid out there! 47 degrees. And the wind is blowing 12!