Review of 1980 Hunter 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert A. Phillips

Help, I can not find a boat review of the Hunter 1980 30 Classic. I am looking at one in average or alittlebetter that needs TLC and grunt work, engine "2Qm" seems to run fine and push the boat well. Jib in need of new furling cover,toe rail need to be resealed, and the head need some work. asking price was $17,900---We're about to settle for around $15,000 whats it worth and am I getting a desent price (averagr) or am I about to get the shaft. By the way the shaft has been recently aligned,new bearing, zinc and packing.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Check the 'Boats' section

It's the tab in the upper right hand corner. Click on the Hunter 30 (1974-83) then scroll down and click the link to owner reviews.

D

Don Bodemann

fare price depending

15K for an average 80-H30 sounds about right to me. If it is quite grungy and suffers from neglect, that price could be a touch high. I've been watching this market quite closely lately and this seems to be typical for this year boat. Don't forget this is the end of the season and if you don't buy it, their chances of selling it before the winter are slim. If it is not to late, I would offer $12 and stick with it for a while. Good luck and be sure to check the deck carefully for soft spots.

C

Charles Weikel

Be sure to check.....

the mast step for signs of compression. Under the mast step the compression post is supported in the bilge by a carbon steel 'I' beam that, given the age of the bost, could have or may be very close to rusting through. This will allow the compression post, mast step and mast to drop enough to screw up the rig. A four figure repair. Common problem on Hunter 30's (see other posts).

Status
Not open for further replies.