Reverse Gear Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2009
2 E-27 Cornucopia, Wisconsin
When backing my 1976 Ericson 27 out of a slip, I have trouble getting enough power to have the directional control I need. The engine is an A-4. It seems as if the reverse gear doesn't engage right away. Has anyone else had a problem with this?

K

keymastr1@gmail.com

reverse

When backing my 1976 Ericson 27 out of a slip, I have trouble getting enough power to have the directional control I need. The engine is an A-4. It seems as if the reverse gear doesn't engage right away. Has anyone else had a problem with this?
FIRST The attomic 4 does not have a reverse gear it uses a friction clutch for reverse this is where the squelling comes from. Yes the boat is very hard to control in reverse I have changed to a 3 blade 6-12 pitch and it helped a bit but still I have to be very carful in tight areas but once started the keel becomes the rudder and it is very difficult to turn I now pull by bow around when I can and use revese just to slow down and dock.

Uwe

Feb 19, 2010
ericson 35 LA harbor
Have you been to Moyermarine.com this is the best place for your question. there is 3 bladed prop by indigo which will give you better performance. it is relatively easy to tell if you are slipping but unlikely. Do you think it is slipping??

Status
Not open for further replies.