Reverse cycle AC & Mast wiring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jack Betts

We've moved our 1981 h37 to Oriental and plan to do some upgrading. One plan is to install a reverse-cycle heating and air conditioning unit. We are considering the Mermaid 16,500 btu unit, or possible a Marine Air. I'd like to hear from anyone who has installed either the Mermaid or Marine Air Cabin Mate. SpecificallY: Where did you put (1) the thru-hull, (2) the water strainer and (3) the unit itself? And could you outline how you ran any duct work? Second, we want to move the wind speed/wind direction transducer from its current spot on a six-foot stern mast on the aft starboard part of the cockpit, to the masthead. The only problem I forsee is running the wire through the mast. I don't know if there's room in the wiring channel at the aft facet of the mast, because it looks pretty crowded with the spreader light wires, the steaming/decklight combo wire, the masthead light wire and the VHF coax cable. Do you have a suggestion how to get it in there and all the way along? As an alternative, is it possible to run the wire thru the larger section of the mast, or would that possibly foul the two internal halyards that are also in that larger section? Thanks so much. Jack Betts (jbetts@mindspring.com)

E

Ed Schenck

It's on order.

Small world Jack. I just ordered our Mermaid unit for the H37C on Wednesday. Missed the 1999 price from Defender by three days! I have a pattern which I cut to size it to the cabinet in the aft cabin. I bought a right-hand model, 12000 BTU, and plan to run no ductwork. It will pull air from the aft cabin and blow into the main salon, under the nav station. The thru-hull will be drilled forward of the diesel cooling thru-hull and on the starboard side. Until I see the size of the filter I'm not sure where I'll put that. We can discuss thru e-mail. I've got questions about Oriental since we spend a lot of time around Morehead City and Beaufort. Ed(eschenck@ezo.net) or at work(schencked@bfusa.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.