Retrieve lost end of topping lift?

Sep 20, 2005
Oday 35 Westport, MA
I lost the mast end of my topping lift line into the boom on my Oday 35, and sailing is off until that’s retrieved. Does anyone have any ideas about a way to find and fish that back out? In a couple of days I’ll head to the boat with a powerful flashlight, an electricians snake, and a fishhook with the barb filed off.
I have no idea what the inside of a Selden boom looks like, but I’m afraid there are blocks and reversing outhaul and/or reefing lines. Maybe my luck will hold and I’ll get it, but if not I’ll have to pull the line out and replace it, a job I don’t look forward to.
Does anyone have experience and/or advice for this little problem. If so, thank you !

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to retrieve it.
I had a Selden boom but I'm not envisioning the topping lift system you describe. I think the fastest way is to remove the boom from the goose neck and snake a line down the boom. Whatever line that is can be a messenger for the existing TL or a new one. If possible I'd prefer to start the snake by going thru the boom end plate so that the line runs out of the boom in the right place.
On my first outing sailing I pulled a halyard tail into the mast ...

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I'm with @shemandr - remove one bolt at the gooseneck, go to a outdoor staircase, make the boom vertical, and use gravity to run the new line, or retrieve the old. Things get so much easier when they're in the right orientation to gravity.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I just rebuilt my boom (it's an Isomat, yours should be too). Internally mine contained two reefing lines running straight fore-to-aft and the outhaul which uses a 3:1 block assembly that is anchored to the boom about 6 inches aft of the gooesneck fitting on top (you should see two rivets there if yours is like that). My topping lift does not go through the boom. It will probably be easier to snake a new line rather than try to catch the existing one - there's a lot in there to catch on. I had the end caps off so it made things easier. After I put it all together I decided to re-run a reefing line (it didn't have a clear run) and was able to snake the line through without much trouble. I put the boom at about a 30 degree angle and maneuvered it so the outhaul assembly sat all on one side and with a clear path on the other side for the reefing line. I taped the reefing line to a 6' piece of nylon cable cover (because I had it) and fed it through - came out the other end no problem. An electrician's tape would make it easier. Certainly vertical would be even easier but the boom's 12' long so not as simple. This link has some info though they had a fancier reefing system than me:

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am trying to figure out why a topping lift would go through the boom...

Mine attaches to the back end of the boom, up to the top of the mast, over a sheeve and down the mast to a cleat.

What would be the purpose of running through the boom?

I don’t have a SeLeon system, but just having a hard time imagining the purpose...

Greg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I am trying to figure out why a topping lift would go through the boom...

Mine attaches to the back end of the boom, up to the top of the mast, over a sheeve and down the mast to a cleat.

What would be the purpose of running through the boom?

I don’t have a SeLeon system, but just having a hard time imagining the purpose...

Greg
A lot of O’Days were rigged with the TL in the boom. On our 28 it was tied off at the masthead, ran in the back of the boom, and adjusted at a cam on the front of the boom. Not sure why O’Day thought that better than just rigging it like a halyard, but they did it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not sure why O’Day thought that better than just rigging it like a halyard, but they did it.
Well it is an issue that can be changed if an owner wants to change it. Just because O'Day did it doesn't mean it is the only way to skin the cat. Most of my boats have used the halyard method.

A lot of booms have to much gear running inside.
  • Out Haul
  • 2 reef lines
If your boom is too congested and you have a sheave at the top of the mast why not run the topping lift like a halyard.

I like the halyard idea, It gives me a spare that I can use if my Main halyard gets trashed.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
A lot of O’Days were rigged with the TL in the boom. On our 28 it was tied off at the masthead, ran in the back of the boom, and adjusted at a cam on the front of the boom. Not sure why O’Day thought that better than just rigging it like a halyard, but they did it.
Never saw that before...thanks for the education.

I think I prefer my “halyard” set up...but it is not easy to raise the back of the boom. I almost never adjust it...but it keeps the boom out of the cockpit!

Greg