Retirement "What If"

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Like the Evaluator idea. There could be a market for that as the millennials I’ve met are ecstatic about their boat not have not the old school experience to identify problems and create solutions. Seems in their youth no one built things or maintained them.

I’ve wondered about fuel polishing opportunities. You can get a hand cart pump and filters for under 1 boat buck. 600 and up, depends on size of job, seems to be a fair rate. Around Everett I think you could be as buddy as the guys scraping bottoms.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Like the Evaluator idea. There could be a market for that as the millennials I’ve met are ecstatic about their boat not have not the old school experience to identify problems and create solutions. Seems in their youth no one built things or maintained them.

I’ve wondered about fuel polishing opportunities. You can get a hand cart pump and filters for under 1 boat buck. 600 and up, depends on size of job, seems to be a fair rate. Around Everett I think you could be as buddy as the guys scraping bottoms.
I did a little Google research on the polishing idea. It seems a little more complicated than running the existing fuel through filters. That’s what our engines do already with the return lines. They pump out all the fuel leaving a small amount that they use to rinse the tanks with then filter all of it as they pump it back in. They need access to the tank and a decent size port which probably means the fuel sending unit port. Assuming most tanks are in the rear, I think this would be challenging.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
There is also the notion of cleaning the tanks. Doesn't do much good to polish the fuel and run it back into tanks with crap on the bottom. My delivery partner and I attack the fuel system on a new-to-us boat before we do much else. It's time consuming, and dirty work, but fuel contamination is not one of our worries once we are underway. All the fluids and filters get changed too.