Retirement "What If"

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Retired at 56 after a 31 year telecommunications career. Did some contract work for three years, then tried to stop work altogether. Disliked it; needed purpose. Taking children to school seemed like an easy gig; it was. Easiest job I've ever had with lots of time off, good benefits, and a great group of fellow bus drivers. Been driving since 2005 and I really like it. Will continue until they take the keys out of my cold dead hands.

School year is 180 days, which offers a long summer break (two plus months) plus a winter (two weeks), mid winter (one week) and spring breaks (one week). These breaks open up lots of year around sailing opportunities. As long as I still look forward to driving kids to school, and I do, life is just like a box of chocolates; you just never know until you try one.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
My plan has been to pick up a job with the state or a contractor in the hazmat field or teaching the topic which I currently have a side job doing. I’ve been thinking lately about looking at what else is out there.
I’ve contemplated teaching in the local school district in science or history Which would give me the same time off as my wife who is a teacher. I’d have to do high school.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I say do it. Teaching in the STEM curriculum is a noble task. Vitally needed in th eschools today. If you can relate to kids it can be very rewarding.

That said be prepared to have the system take advantage of you. It is just their way. As long as you do not need the job it is survivable. If you find 3 students who. Over time get it. It is immensely rewarding.

High School students can devour a new teacher. You might explore the substitute teaching opportunity. Look on it as an Internship. The Calculus classes I taught were very rewarding. Some of the brightest minds in the school were in attendance. It was not babysitting. It was learning. The PhysEd classes were the opposite, and I was the Soccer Coach. But one serves to please the administration.

Dec 28, 2015
I say do it. Teaching in the STEM curriculum is a noble task. Vitally needed in th eschools today. If you can relate to kids it can be very rewarding.

That said be prepared to have the system take advantage of you. It is just their way. As long as you do not need the job it is survivable. If you find 3 students who. Over time get it. It is immensely rewarding.

High School students can devour a new teacher. You might explore the substitute teaching opportunity. Look on it as an Internship. The Calculus classes I taught were very rewarding. Some of the brightest minds in the school were in attendance. It was not babysitting. It was learning. The PhysEd classes were the opposite, and I was the Soccer Coach. But one serves to please the administration.
I’d sub I think. My wife is a Elem Ed teacher. I’m pretty familiar with the atmosphere.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I’m currently 66 and I retired at 61 after a 37 yr professional career. I could have retired earlier but gave the company some recovery time. Admiral (same age) retired at 55 after similar career. We invested in company savings plans since day 1 and some others. When you retire, you need a plan. That does not include stopping by the furniture store on the way home from last day..we love cruising the boat, global travel, global cycling, amongst others. I play clarinet with local symphony and bands. I love photography, (won the contest awhile back). I’ve gotten involved with the mgmt of our local yacht club including youth sailors. I don’t know how I had the time to work! So, I don’t “need” the retirement income that involves sailing. I enjoy the volunteer aspects. For the younger crowd reading this, plan for retirement from day one!!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
marine diesel mechanic...... always in demand... anywhere you go...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Mike, what's the sail plan? You just want to sail weekends and that occasional 2 week trip or are you and your wife interested in casting off early for that round the world tour and life aboard?
There is the craft market. I haven't had the time to look into it yet, but there are coastal craft markets and events all along the coast that could offer a little travelling cash if you plan your trips right. A few dollars will buy you a 10x10 booth at the Seasidetown sunset festival. Make small carvings, wooden spoons, plaques with little messages on them, art pieces from found seashore debris, sew nautical flags, etc. You and your wife can both have your thing.
There's low priced small business insurance cooperative plans for the self-employed. You could sell online at Etsy, Facebook, your own Web domain, get into consignment shops... . These are things I'm just beginning to explore myself.
Then, there's blogging. Bloggers make money enough to support their extended, sail around the world, vacations, if they are charming and don't mind the life intrusion.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
This conversation has really got me thinking. I enjoy everything about sailing: relaxed time with the Admiral, family and friends; actually sailing a boat; cruising to new or familiar places; anchoring off a natural shore; being outdoors most of the time; and watching wildlife on the water. I do enough cleaning and simple maintenance to get away from the dock and sail in safety. I’m blessed to be able to pay a competent marina team to do the hard stuff.

I spent most of my first career helping engineers find and solve problems that made our customers happy. In my second career, I did some teaching, consulting, and founded and ran a Christian community development corporation in a tough urban neighborhood. I was fortunate to get paid to do things I loved in both careers.

Now, in my third career, I’m good for nothing. I focus on helping others grow and change: helping prisoners acquire hope, become disciples of Jesus, and then return to society as constructive members; teaching physics to preschoolers; helping folks deal with hurts, habits, and hang ups; and serving my family- Mother, siblings, daughters grandkids, and their spouses. One way or another, I’m going to keep sacrificing my time for the good of others until the instant of my death. This third career is easily the most interesting and joyful one I’ve had!

Written on a chartered Hunter 35.5 in Sister Bay, off Green Bay on a beautiful sunny day with my wife and two great friends, looking forward to an easy sail down to anchor in Egg Harbor after breakfast.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Written on a chartered Hunter 35.5 in Sister Bay, off Green Bay on a beautiful sunny day with my wife and
That reminded me of the other option I meant to include. This is the age of telecommuting. With a good Internet connection and the right employer/ clientele, you can do productive work from many places across the globe.

-Will (Dragonfly)

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Retiring at 53 sounds like a great thing.. but you have to keep in mind that you will be retired also in your 60's 70's 80's etc and it will be nice to have some $$$ for options (like sailboats, homes etc) that your peers will have who continued to work until at least into their 60's. Its time retired vs money and you have to make that trade off. Some professions you somewhat need to retire that early but my .02 is that if you dont hate your current job, your best option is to continue working at that job until at least near 60. This will help both savings and SS payments which may not seem important now.. but will be when later if for no other reason than you will be able to do similar "stuff" that requires some $$ to your peers who retired later. You are lucky to have the health care thing taken care of. I retired at 59.5 and am now 63 and am paying by far the very most for the very worst health insurance I have ever had. Not looking forward to getting older except for medicare at 65.5 or something like that. Also... do you have kids that will need help with college.. That can also be a huge expense. Not everyone considers that important (my wife and I did - we are just about done with that expense on two kids).

Staying busy.. If you cant imagine what you would do with your time if not working.. you might end up being bored. If you can image a million things you would do with your time, being retired is a great thing.

Sounds like the OP may have a unique situation where you can retire on the early side with the health insurance benny. In which case.. I like you plan to do "something" on the side to keep making some cash but doing something you enjoy.

Dec 28, 2015
All great input and appreciated. I want to keep on track of sailing related "second career" job ideas. My situation is a little unique and I've been well counseled on timing, investments and planning ( not that I don't need more bit that is a whole other topic). SS isn't a option as I don't put into it.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
All great input and appreciated. I want to keep on track of sailing related "second career" job ideas. My situation is a little unique and I've been well counseled on timing, investments and planning ( not that I don't need more bit that is a whole other topic). SS isn't a option as I don't put into it.
Did you pay into Medicare? Will you be eligible for that?

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
Great discussion and very timely for me (this is the first day of my retirement). I’ll be 62 tomorrow and plan to enjoy this new phase of life as much as possible. Here in central Alberta we have two months of sailing left so will squeeze out as much as possible. After that, a little traveling and some fall projects around the cottage. The gang at work gave me a season ski pass at Jasper so that will be fun. Wood working is my main hobby and I plan to build a kayak this winter. As for some side work, I’m thinking ski tuning and waxing and maybe some artsy wood projects to sell.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have been very fortunate. My late wife and I had good jobs, she for 33 years and I for 37. We both retired early after raising two sons and putting them through school.
I was 57 when I retired and am going on 74. We both had good pension plans, social security, and saved a little on our own.
Obviously, I am on medicare now, and have supplemental health insurance. Its a blessing that we had it, as my wife contracted leukemia and did not survive it. The health care costs would have been devastating without.
I have been able to keep my summer home and my boat, and not have to winter “up north”
To keep busy, there is always maintenance on the boat and the houses that I have the tools and ability to do myself. I have volunteered doing work for Habitat for Humanity, as well as volunteering at a couple of local museums. I still don’t know how I had time to work.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Retirement? Whats that! Still working full time at 72 and only regret not having more sailing/skiing time. This year am taking one day a week to sail/ski as I don't see full retirement for a few years. Running a small company.

Dec 28, 2015
Retirement? Whats that! Still working full time at 72 and only regret not having more sailing/skiing time. This year am taking one day a week to sail/ski as I don't see full retirement for a few years. Running a small company.
It all comes down to the term work. I have the best job in the world but there is a reason no one does it into there 60s. If I find something else I can call the best job in the world for a 50+ person then I might go another 10 but not longer.