Retirement research

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Isn't that a common theme. I'm a lifelong Michigan boy who had the life sucked out me by the snow and cold last year. The coming winter is supposed to be a repeat. I now have dreams of a Florida based live aboard. No state income tax. Don't care about property taxes if I don't own a home on land. Just need to figure out those hurricanes I read about but have never experienced.
Florida is 'choked' with relocated 'live-aboards'. Anchoring is becoming VERY restricted and marina prices are rising accordingly. You missed being in FL by about 30 years. :-(

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/137450-florida-again.html
The 'latest' on the ever changing anchoring issue: http://myfwc.com/media/2847550/ancho...ic-meeting.pdf

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Isn't that a common theme. I'm a lifelong Michigan boy who had the life sucked out me by the snow and cold last year. The coming winter is supposed to be a repeat. I now have dreams of a Florida based live aboard. No state income tax. Don't care about property taxes if I don't own a home on land. Just need to figure out those hurricanes I read about but have never experienced.
Currently Florida is in the throws of anti anchoring movement by the Dept of Fish and Wildlife. Mooring balls in required anchorages, no anchoring within 300ft of a dwelling, stuff like that. Boaters are fighting it but I would bet some sort of change will happen because big money developers don't want to see boats blocking their view.

Live aboard might not be the solution you think it is if the changes go through.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
That Fl anchoring law will get whacked in the courts.

It sounds like you have a decent nest egg. So buy a nice cruising boat and travel with the seasons. Fly home to see the grandkids or fly them out to you.

We just spent 7 beautiful weeks in Maine. Working our way south to Annapolis in settled weather. Will stop in Fl for a bit and then spend 4 months in beautiful Bahamas. Rinse, repeat.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Delaware and Belize

Usually states with no income tax kill you with property tax, so renting or a live aboard ( sailboat and a houseboat?) may be the way yo go in DE. I second Belize, most people dont realize English is the primary language and there are a lot of benefits for US retireees.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Have you considered trading hurricanes for earthquakes (west coast)?
In deaths, for the last few decades I think hurricanes have had the most victims in the US. If you factor in Tsunamis caused by earthquakes worldwide, the earthquakes win by a factor of ten, I think. That's basically 10,000, vs. 200,000.
But, hurricanes are being pretty well predicted. Earthquakes not so much. Either scares me, but at least with a Hurricane I can get the heck out of here.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I understand Pa is growing with former Md and NJ people as Pa does not tax retirement income and has lower taxes overall.
How about living in Pa near the Chesapeake and drive to your boat?
Don't know what I'll do as my daughter got a job in Md which is more wacco than Nj....and that's saying something.

Jan 22, 2008
Pearson 323 Kent Island, MD
My diatribe on taxes and retirement locations

DAVA390,

I read your post and thought maybe I was the one that wrote it! We've had dreams of retiring to MD for about 15 years now. We currently live in PA. Like you, I don't like the way MD is heading politically. I have been saying that it is becoming the California of the East. I agree with much of the advice that has been posted here except for the comment that all states are pretty much the same. Politically and economically, that just is not true. A few weeks ago, I met a home builder from the Bethesda MD area. I brought up the topic of "MD politics" and he went off on a tirade calling the governor some very nasty things. He said that 15 years ago, it would cost him about $700 for permits to build a home. He said now it is $55K. Yes. They've thrown in all different sort of assessments and fees. Insanity.

As far as taxes go, you really have to look at the "total tax burden" which includes property tax, sales tax, fuel tax, alcohol tax, estate tax, income tax, etc. Many of those taxes are hidden, for example Virginia adds 11.1 cents per gallon to gasoline, while NC adds 37.75 cents. But if you don't drive much, no big deal. Likewise, a case of Becks beer costs me $24 in DE but costs $35 in NY state, much of it being taxes. But if you don't drink much... you should try it :).

The hot button for me is property taxes. After all, I owned a 4,800SF home in South NJ and was paying $24K per year. Insane. Most property taxes go toward the school system and we were growing and adding schools like crazy. I have more of a libertarian view on the government. I want the local govt to provide a school system and maintain the roads, not much more. That is about all we get where I am at in PA now. No fire dept, no police dept (state troopers service the area). So on a $500K home, I am paying $7200/year. That is still high, but not compared to NJ. When I retire and have limited income, I'm hoping to keep it to around $3500/year or less.

As far as criteria for our retirement, we'd like to be on or near the Chesapeake. I'd like to be within maybe 90 mins of a major airport. We also are kind of "foodies", so we like shopping at stores like Wegmans, Whole Foods, Harris Teeter, Trader Joe's etc. We also like the change of seasons, to a degree, and don't want to go too far South. When you get older, you have to think about medical care too.

The ONLY county in all of MD that has low property taxes is Talbot. You can get a $500K home there and pay about $2K in taxes. Though you have to travel to Annapolis or Salisbury to do some of your shopping. But again, MD politics are killing me. (Did I mention that I believe in the 2nd amendment? Not a good state for gun owners.) MD is out.

Someone mentioned that DE has high taxes. I question that. I looked at homes there once and property taxes sere VERY low. DE derives much of its revenue from the fact that nearly every major corporation is incorporated there and pays taxes to them. (Because their courts are historically favorable to businesses. Smart.) Anyhow, you can't be on the bay and live in DE. DE is out.

So that leaves VA. We are in the early stages of investigating. But my trips down the Eastern Shore (ES) indicate that it is very rural once you get South of Cambridge or so. Sorry, but I can't deal with shopping at a dingy Food Lion. So all that leaves is the Western shore of VA. We recently explored the "Northern Neck". You can get a pretty nice WATERFRONT home for about $500K and taxes are about $2,500. BUT your shopping is limited to Walmart or Food Lion and it is a pretty far drive to Fredricksburg, Norfolk or Richmond.

Sooooo.... our latest interest lies in Williamsburg, VA. It is not exactly a boater's paradise. You have the York river on one side and the James river on the other. Yet there are not that many marinas. Though there are some really nice gated communities that have their own marinas. Taxes on a $500K home are around $3K, but some of these communities have steep HOA fees that could add a couple grand. Though they offer pools, gyms, tennis, etc. so you have to look at that too. You are about an hour or so from Richmond and Norfolk airports, an hour to the beach, have a theme park in town (when grandkids come), great shopping, lots of retirees, good health care, etc.

That is my life story. To throw you a curve ball... have you been to Cape Cod? My dad retired there. Great place. A bit crowded during the summers and a short boating season, but very nice for retirees.

Sep 19, 2010
Beneteau 41 Deltaville, VA
Sooooo.... our latest interest lies in Williamsburg, VA. It is not exactly a boater's paradise. You have the York river on one side and the James river on the other. Yet there are not that many marinas. Though there are some really nice gated communities that have their own marinas. Taxes on a $500K home are around $3K, but some of these communities have steep HOA fees that could add a couple grand. Though they offer pools, gyms, tennis, etc. so you have to look at that too. You are about an hour or so from Richmond and Norfolk airports, an hour to the beach, have a theme park in town (when grandkids come), great shopping, lots of retirees, good health care, etc.
Recommend you also look at the Middle Peninsula -- not as isolated as the Northern Neck, still about an hour to Richmond, and close by all the shopping in Williamsburg but without as much congestion. And with Deltaville right on the Bay, and the Rappahannock and Piankatank Rivers, it IS a boater's paradise! Lots of nice marinas and sailing yacht clubs here.

I was born and raised in Maryland, lived in Northern Virginia from 1975 to March 2014, currently renting in Gloucester County, and getting ready to build a house in Middlesex County right off the Piankatank. For all those posting here questioning relative costs between Maryland and Virginia, I can assure you that taxes and cost of living are much less in Virginia than Maryland, and even less in the southeastern part of Virginia than in N. Va.!

Ed H

Sep 15, 2010
Hunter 33_77-83 Regent Point Marina, Virginia
DAVA390,

Crazy how when someone mentions a potential retirement spot, a post appears from a guy located there... So here we go- My wife and I live in Williamsburg. We keep our boat an hour away; what we consider to be the perfect distance- close enough to get to easily, yet far enough away that it is really a "get-away" when we go there.
Not sure if we will stay here when we retire in 3 years- wife contracted bad case of "Grandbaby-itis" when our first grandchild was born 6 mos ago in West Va... Lots to do here in Williamsburg but negotiating the roads can be frustrating- College kids flying around; Retirees putting along at 5 MPH; and Lost Tourists stopping dead center in the middle of the street.
My advice is to avoid the gated communities with their bloated HOA fees that will only increase in the future.

Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
I have been in florida for 14 years and all this anchoring law business is way overdone. I am in naples just a quick sail from Marco Island where the big test case was. I anchor in that bay all the time with no problems. Now i do not stay but a day or so, i do not live aboard and i am not loud or cause a mess. I know there are many working on this situation but it is not a big problem yet as i see it. Second having no state income tax is great. We fund a lot from tourist tax, user fees etc. I come from Illinois. Compared to there this is on step from heaven. I sail to the keys now and then it is nice laid back are most places. Like others said, "island time".
Naples is beautiful but expensive. Sailing is soft here most times and water is relatively shallow. If you are a conservative this is a good place for you. My 2 cents..

Sep 12, 2014
Lien Hwa Pilorhouse 46 Cape Coral
DAVA390 -- I had a very similar situation, having sailed around and out of Annapolis my whole working and sailing career. My goal was to get far enough South that I would not be forced to winterize the boat. I wound up in Florida. The East Coast was very pricey, but I found an area on the southwest coast that suited me well in Cape Coral. If your mast is under 45', you can get under the bridges and power lines for access to literally tens of thousands of gulf-access waterfront homes. Do some Google or Bing map searches and take an 'aerial' tour. You'll see that Cape Coral was designed as a boating community. Hell, I see dentists, doctors, insurance guys in offices with boat docks. Do some online real estate shopping and see what the prices are running for sailboat-access waterfront. I think you will 3BR/3BA, garage, pool, screen, and dock can be had for 350K-ish. As mentioned above, Florida has no state income tax. Property taxes are a bit higher as a percentage of property value, but the base values are much lower than in Maryland. There is about an hour or two of canal and river before heading out into the gulf depending on where you are. If you might want to discuss further, PM me.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Punta Gorda

Best kept secret ever is Charlotte Harbor in Punta Gorda or Port Charlotte
prices and taxes lower than rest of Fl.
We have so many new boaters moving here from up north for the great sailing
and the prices are pretty good too.
Punta Gorda has many homes on sailboat canals and Port charlotte also with easy access to the Charlotte Harbor and great inlet to Gulf.
Cape Coral is also good but better for power boats and some sailboats,when looking and before buying talk to locals who know where what canals are better
for sailboats.
Not crowded
Nick

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I love hearing about all these places! What I am realizing now is that my kids are probably going to keep me somewhat close to where they were raised (Denver).. Or maybe not.. maybe they will move somewhat far away (like we did) and it wont matter..

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
My kids average out somewhere south of Kansas City: one's in NYC the other lives here with us! :) Both of 'em love the boat, can't ask for anymore. :)

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
Best kept secret ever is Charlotte Harbor in Punta Gorda or Port Charlotte
prices and taxes lower than rest of Fl.
We have so many new boaters moving here from up north for the great sailing
and the prices are pretty good too.
Punta Gorda has many homes on sailboat canals and Port charlotte also with easy access to the Charlotte Harbor and great inlet to Gulf.
Cape Coral is also good but better for power boats and some sailboats,when looking and before buying talk to locals who know where what canals are better
for sailboats.
Not crowded
Nick
Don't tell anyone.... :D

BJV

Jun 8, 2004
Island Trader 41 foot Ketch, CC Arnold
Look at Oriental, NC or New Bern, NC
Great sailing, Liveaboards, friendly place, weather pretty good
Lots of "half backs" people who move from NE to Florida, find summer too hot, too many tourists in winter and move half way back North.

Jun 5, 2014
Capital Yacths Newport MKIII 30 Punta Gorda, Fl
We just moved to Punta Gorda in Dec 2013. Nice small town, but everything you need close buy. So far we are living it. Pretty active sailing club, racing series and cruises. The town is always having something going on.