restoring the luster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
Lancer PS 27 Charleston
Has anyone used the Ploliglow refinishing products to restore there chalky finish? I have been pointed to it by a friend who says it has amazing results. Any advice on bringing back the luster would be helpful.

Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
poly glow

I used this a few years ago on my old O'Day 30 with good results. However, you cannot do one or two coats. I think by the third coat it began to shine and the fourth made it look lilke new. I am in HOT sunny South florida and it lasted a couple years before I had to do it again. Still looked good after second time and a few years later.
You must really clean the surface first then just wipe on and let dry. It is easy to put on but unless you keep adding coats you will not get the desired results.

Oct 1, 2011
Hunter 42 Passage Huron, OH
Rocker, here is my take, and this may be a long reply. I just purchased an Hunter 34 that sat on the hard for 6 years with no wax and no cover. It is BAD. Very dirty, oxidized and pitted. So oxidized that if you run your hand across it, it looks like you just ran your handover a chalkboard. HOWEVER, there is good news. Everything depends on the level of oxidation, so I will tell you what I have read and what I have done. In my case, because it was pitted so bad, I had to start with a 600 wet sand, then 800, 1000 and 1200. This will leave the boat VERY dull, BUT, very smooth with all of the oxidation removed. The next step is a product from the body shop supply store specifically for gelcoat called "Presta - Super Cut" Apply this per directions with a buffer, first at low speed, then use a water misting bottle and at high speed. Move in a North / South, then East / West motion. At this point, the boat looks amazing. Huge deep shine and smooth as glass. Next step, a polish applied with a buffer using the same up down left right motion. Final with a UV sensitive polymer wax. When done, and done properly, it will look better than it did when it left the factory. Remember, this is a commitment, cause it is a big project. Also, you need to gauge what steps you take based on your level of oxidation. You may be able to start with Super Cut and just move forward from there. Also, remember, gelcoat by nature has micro-pits in it. You will not get that luster back until you smooth all the pits and create a continuous reflective surface. Gelcoat is also UV sensitive... So a good UV sensitive Polymer wax is a good way to slow the aging process. Please remember, gauge what I have done, on your own situation. You may need a wet sand, you may be able to start with the super cut, or you may be able to de-wax and just start with the polish then the wax. I hope this helps and good luck.

Oct 18, 2011
Lancer PS 27 Charleston
you guys rock. thanks. Think I will try the Poliglow. If it doesn't doe the right thing then I will go with the more traditional approach. Thanks again

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
One warning about Poliglow. It is not easy to undo. You will work very hard removing it if you ever decide to go the buffing/polishing route.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I've used Poly Glow on a couple of boats and Terry is right, it takes multiple coats but the coats are as easy as wiping the stuff on. I did 6 coats on my 41' Gulfstar in about 3 hours, part of which was spent moving my ladder- planks- ladder scaffolding every 7 feet or so.
Borrowed the kit to a powerboat friend who didn't use the cleaner and wiped on 2 quick coats and then complained about the finish. Duh.
And if you decide you want to remove it, the company sells a "stripper" just for Poly Glow.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
One caution about Poy Glow

I've used it for years and love the stuff, but it's not right for some applications: Don't use it where it will come in contact with sunscreen or body oils. Those will turn in soft and black. Outside the hull, I don't think it cam be beat.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Then there's this:

Great How To Wax: http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=117266

If you do a search on Poliglow, you'll have years of reading.

Like anchors and religion, there are many different points of view.

If it was my boat, before I went and put something else on it, and knowing if I didn't like it I'd have to spend even MORE to get it off, I'd try Brian's idea with the link I provided.

If that's not what you wanna do, then at least you're not out any $$ except for some cleaner and wax.

Your boat, your choice.

Oct 13, 2007
Hunter 37.5 Plattsburgh
I have used a similar product called NewGlass2. It can be ordered online. Used it for 5 years now and only problem I had was putting it inside cockpit area where it is not recommended for use. As mentioned above with other product,it wears away quickly and doesn't tolerate suntan oils. On the exterior hull,works fine producing a high gloss that lasts the entire season. After initial 5 coats,i did 2 coat touch upseach spring.
It cn be removed with a special solvent you can buy from the company that you wipe or brush on and immediately rinse off.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Then there's this:

Great How To Wax: http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=117266

If you do a search on Poliglow, you'll have years of reading.

Like anchors and religion, there are many different points of view.

If it was my boat, before I went and put something else on it, and knowing if I didn't like it I'd have to spend even MORE to get it off, I'd try Brian's idea with the link I provided.

If that's not what you wanna do, then at least you're not out any $$ except for some cleaner and wax.

Your boat, your choice.
----
That is a beautiful wax job and wonderful tutorial. MS's normal outstanding work.
Do you follow this procedure Stu? Just wondering how much time is involved for a non professional boat maintenance and repair person?

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina C27 Noank, Ct
I used Poliglow once about 4 years ago, and will never use it again. Removing it, even with their product, is time-consuming and creates a mess. I know some boaters swear by it, but I went a similar route to Brian's above, wet sanding with finer and finer grades, until the surface was glass-smooth. I have a 30 year old boat, and oxidation was a big problem when I bought it. After doing the intensive work once, my annual plan is now much easier, I use Interlux to clean the surface, wash with gel cleaner, apply Finesse-It(3M), and two coats of wax. I can do the entire hull in about 4 hours from start to finish.

Jun 3, 2004
Pearson 323 Staten Island
I hated poli glow. Island Girl was excellent. Only one problem - you need warm weather to get it to dry.

Jul 1, 2004
Hunter 40 St. Petersburg
Been there . . .

it works great.

Until it doesn't. You can't 'repair' it. The company's stripper did NOT take it off.

Just my personal experience. Just mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.