Restoration photos of Hunter 31 1984

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
Because of mild autumnal/winter weather, we are happy to have had the opportunity to get a head start on the boat. This means we can enjoy her in later spring for her intended use - sailing and a home away from home.
For now, I am posting the photos of the restored port lights that were done at home in the new year. They were grotty, mouldy, scratched up but but now look quite presentable. I will add more to this site as time goes on.

Attachments

Oct 2, 2012
Oday Widgeon Mount Pleasant, SC
Nice job on the portholes. I enjoy living aboard a sistership to yours, same year and model. I have replaced several portholes with new largely because the plastic hinge pins were broken. Good luck with your further improvements to a great boat.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Looks good. What do they look like reinstalled? I did something Similar on my 1983 H31. However I replaced my old ports completely as several of them had cracks in the frames, they needed new gaskets, and the lenses were crazed in many places. I think they were original to the boat so 32 years old.

Replacing ports and Fixing Rot

Check out the other projects I have done at the link below.

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
Thanks. We love the spacious feeling of the boat as well. Will be sailing her this year as we bought her late last summer and moved her to her present location the beginning of September. A few sailors at the club we are at told my husband that our boat is a great boat and..."this is a Hunter when Hunter made great boats." People are generally impressed by it's spacious feel. Great for me, as I am claustrophobic and we like to entertain. I can hardly wait for the boat to be launched!

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
Pateco : The photos are not showing up for your ports replacement. Great facebook site. As for our ports, they are still at home. When they are put in, I will post photos. We put the window film onto the lenses because of crazing also. Thank goodness in terms of our budget, the frames where in decent enough condition to refurbish and the Captain is quite the handyman. All in all, he says he's having fun getting the boat fixed!

Nov 2, 2015
hunter 30 bat n.c.
glad you are enjoying the hunter I also bought a cheribini hunter 79 30ft late last year would like to see some pic's on the interior if ya would as I am reworking mine thank's

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Pateco : The photos are not showing up for your ports replacement. Great facebook site. As for our ports, they are still at home. When they are put in, I will post photos. We put the window film onto the lenses because of crazing also. Thank goodness in terms of our budget, the frames where in decent enough condition to refurbish and the Captain is quite the handyman. All in all, he says he's having fun getting the boat fixed!
Sorry about the photos, they were linked to the facebook page, and facebook must have renamed or moved them, The same photos are still available on the facebook page.

Nov 2, 2015
hunter 30 bat n.c.
oh well that's ok just interested since mine needs interior work just waiting for the weather to get warmer so I can get back at it

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
oh well that's ok just interested since mine needs interior work just waiting for the weather to get warmer so I can get back at it
Haven't forgotten you Lee, waiting for my husband to come home as I believe he has some photos in his phone.

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
Not sure how many photos can be posted but here I go...

The door on the v-berth to access the tank area had an 8" x 8" door, as you can see, we made the opening much larger. It lifts off easily as it rests on hooks at the bottom and the top has magnetic catches. It was extremely filthy, mouldy and smelly from the original hoses. Cleaned as well as we could, killed of the mould with Concrobium and then painted with Zinzer; this is a stain blocker, has fungicide in it etc... In fact, I tore out that grey cloth that was on the walls in the whole boat as it was dirty, stained, some mould behind it and that stuff was original to the boat. Everything surface, painted and had Concrobrium put on.

The bottom quarter of the bulkhead wall was rotted and the floor under the seat of the dinette area was in bad shape as well and crumbled into pieces when removed. When I tried cleaning this, any liquid be it vinegar, enzymes etc...just made the putrid smell more prominent. The dinette bench fronts have the same material on the front as the v-berth door and the seat part of it has a hinged top. Easier to access from the top rather than be on the floor to do so. I only have one photo of the dinette seat opening. When at boat next, will get some with the lids on.
IMG_1441.jpg IMG_1360.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_1371.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2015
hunter 30 bat n.c.
thank you my interior mostly needs refinished vberth has some kind of cloth on the walls so it has to be removed as it is stained. What have you done with the walls in there? Painted or put another material there

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
thank you my interior mostly needs refinished vberth has some kind of cloth on the walls so it has to be removed as it is stained. What have you done with the walls in there? Painted or put another material
This is what we are going to put on the v-berth walls :

https://www.lowes.ca/wall-tile/fasa...sh_g1199710.html?searchTerm=fasade-backsplash

The walls have been painted with the Zinzer. Was just going to paint until I saw that this was used on someone else's boat. Easy to wipe, will put up with Velcro so that it can be removed and checked behind for future maintenance. Pricier than painting; painting would be fine also. My friend left hers painted and she was impressed one evening that the fibreglass seemed to have a sheen and when she placed her hand on it, she could feel some moisture and so the fiberglass is still breathing according to her. Other than the upholstery and curtains, we want the least amount of fabric on the boat as they hold dirt, odours, mould.
Intitially when we saw the boat, there was no diesel smell, the owner had some work done in between that and the survey date. We were taken aback by the strong diesel smell on the boat on survey day and the marina mechanic said he had spilled a bit and then used something to sop it up. We still opted to buy the boat but with the heat and by the time we got it to the new club, the diesel smell permeated everything. Cleaning with that orange cleaner that was recommended seemed to help until we returned to the boat. Eventually found a small leak for which the Captain bought a part & replaced.Was quite a job getting that and mould odours out of the foam. Upholstery washed up nicely.

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
Here are the photos of the dinette benches. They open from the top which will allow the space to be better utilized. Nice to not have to crawl onto the floor to get things in and out; this configuration limits what can be put it. We used extra flooring from a previous project on top of the wood that replaced the rotten/crumbly flooring that was there. Used the same metal panels used for the v-berth opening on the benches for ventilation.

Attachments

Nov 2, 2015
hunter 30 bat n.c.
Hey it looks great! My floor is rough looking had the same idea for that , the bulkhead wall entering the vberth has a bad spot on the port side bottom am going to try to replace a section of that any ideas to make it a simple job?

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
For our problem, we replaced a large section with marine grade plywood. The head is down to the bare walls and will remain so at least for this year. Will do day sailing with a porta-potty for now and use the facilities when at the slip.

Nov 2, 2015
hunter 30 bat n.c.
o.k. I think I will try a piece of veneer since it is right next to the dineing table and at the end of the seat. I am going to lay new flooring on top of old but still have a lot of sanding and restaining to do!

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
The engine was cleaned last autumn as there had been a leak that we repaired within days of moving the boat. My husband while taking measurements in there for fitting a sliding drawer in the space directly above the engine found the bit of old insulation that remained, was old and still had diesel odour and so replaced it all the way around. The product that was recommended at the marine store consists of foil followed by foam, then heavy rubber layer and a thin foam under that and is of course fireproof.

Attachments

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
The engine was cleaned last autumn as there had been a leak that we repaired within days of moving the boat. My husband while taking measurements in there for fitting a sliding drawer in the space directly above the engine found the bit of old insulation that remained, was old and still had diesel odour and so replaced it all the way around. The product that was recommended at the marine store consists of foil followed by foam, then heavy rubber layer and a thin foam under that and is of course fireproof.
I need to do this to our engine bay. I love the sliding drawer. I need to remove all of the crumbly old insulation from the walls too. where did you get the new sound insulation, and what exactly was it?

Here is our 2GM as it sits today.
2014-10-26 12.37.11.jpg

am420boat08.JPG

Still needs a lot of cleaning up, but runs like a champ.