Rescued 9 times in 7 months ?

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Given their level of planning, nature of their blunders, and their dogged avoidance of any kind of analysis or reflection, I think we might have to conclude they are pretty close to the dullest tacks in the box, or on edge of mental incompetence. If insanity be reason enough to deflect guilt, then it may be hard to condemn these fellows for their almost sociopathic failure to consider their own safety or that of others.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Raises my hand to add my vote for the Darwin award. having known many pilots in my life ...being a pilot doesn't make you smart. Some of them are really really dumb. I don't want to hijack the thread but quite a few times I have had to tell them...
"it works if you turn it on"...or "it worked fine in the OH EN position"

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I am embarrassed that these guys are Americans and that they own a sailboat. They AREN'T sailors!!!!! No sailor would put themselves in circumstances like that. These guys merely own a sailboat and they shouldn't be allowed to. They are giving us sailors bad names!

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
The media left out that the Colin Archer wooden sailboat is massively built for blue water cruising. With her long keel and heavy displacement she should be most comfortable at sea. Built at the Norwegian Christiansen yards, it is a classic. With some repair...multiple thin coats of epoxy...on every square inch of wood..inside joints holes, ect. ...engine, electrical & systems refurbish, ect. ect...an experienced blue water sailor aboard...ect. ect... she might not sink.

Attachments

Oct 13, 2013
Wayfarer Mark I GRP Chicago
The media left out that the Colin Archer wooden sailboat is massively built for blue water cruising. With her long keel and heavy displacement she should be most comfortable at sea. Built at the Norwegian Christiansen yards, it is a classic. With some repair...multiple thin coats of epoxy...on every square inch of wood..inside joints holes, ect. ...engine, electrical & systems refurbish, ect. ect...an experienced blue water sailor aboard...ect. ect... she might not sink.
Embarrassing for her to end up in their hands. Beautiful vessel.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Long memory is a beyotch. I made the same comments about the Kaufman's poor decisions and the cost of rescue and received a barge of sewage for it. Once again we have hubris meeting reality in extremis. Same opinion applies. Send a bill for the rescue. That should give people enough incentive to get a clue when it is obvious they don't have one. This is definitely going to end with a win in Darwin's column.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Interesting how incensed we sailors get when looking at a mess like that .. yet there are so many incompetent, unprepared, distracted people driving automobiles that 90 ! people are killed every day in the USA .. We all pay for that gross lack of training and emotional insanity through our high insurance rates.. yes, some of the incompetents get a ticket for those but the ticket in no way reflects the true costs of handling the mess. (ok, off the soapbox now)

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
"claimed his pre-purchase checks revealed nothing to suggest she would struggle to make it to the East Coast of the U.S."
They are complete idiots, so stupid that they don't even realize that its not the boat at fault but themselves. I just hope no one in the rescue services puts themselves at risk for this pair the next time.

Oct 13, 2013
Wayfarer Mark I GRP Chicago
Totally agreed ifmdalvey. I feel bad for such a beautiful boat that it fell into those nitwit's hands. At least one of them was shamed into going home.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Gotta give a Charlie on that ifmdalvey. The various rescue agencies sign up for some pretty awful stuff so it is their job but when someone 'expects' them to come to their rescue regardless of their own negligence and or incompetence that becomes a whole different story.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
I have to think about whether rescues should be assessed using a Darwinian analysis. If so, I'm going to have to load my life raft with 15 months of provisions and hope I can drift to safety.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Maybe someone will benefit by getting the boat cheap, so they can fix the annoying flaws like the darn candles that cause fires.

I especially loved the comment/quote about him being a "playboy".
Seriously buddy... you are clearly lacking in judgement in more than sailing.