Rescue

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Wow, I wonder ...

Just exactly what these people are sailing out there, putting CG in danger. There storm has been around for days and this is deep of winter. Kind of hard not to know.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/coast-guard-rescues-sailors-nantucket-winter-storm-n306856
if the "medical evaluation" involves a "mental" evaluation.

These winds were predicted soooo long ago. I'm amazed we didn't have trees down. We had incredible wind for at least 24 hours, if not more ... and we're inland. I can't imagine what it was like on open water.

pethia

Jul 3, 2004
- - cape cod , MA
NUTS! What is also troubling is that the father put his own son at great risk! What happens to the free floating boat? Anyone have any idea?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I am only speculating here but there was a discussion last week about a father/son team just purchasing their first boat in Newport intending to sail transatlantic. The only detail I recall is only the son had any prior sailing experience.

You can't fix stupid.

The story is on Gcaptain.com entitled (appropriately) "Australian Lunatics"

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
NUTS! What is also troubling is that the father put his own son at great risk! What happens to the free floating boat? Anyone have any idea?

Target practice, most likely.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Maybe the Gunboat that was left adrift two weeks ago will run into it and both will sink.

All U Get

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
http://gcaptain.com/australian-lunatics-narrowly-avert-death-off-nantucket/

This is a case where they should get the bill for the rescue.

reckless!

In January, Reg and Jason McGlashan paid USD $10,000 for the 43-foot sailboat Sedona off eBay with the intention of sailing her to Australia less than two months later.
“We’ve never done anything like this. Dad’s not even a sailor, but he’s a quick study,” said Jason McGlashan in an interview with the Newport Daily News in early February. “We’ve got plenty of food, plenty of booze, good sails and all the safety gear you could ever need, so we’re going to be OK.”
A gCaptain source who had worked on the Sedona over the past month had directly warned the McGlashans against the trip.

The previous owner of the boat was allegedly facing significant hull delamination issues which prompted him to list it on for sale on eBay.
Our source further notes that the father and son pair had planned to sail their boat around the southern tip of Africa and through the Southern Ocean, instead of the much easier route through the Panama Canal and the along the Pacific trade winds.
The U.S. Coast Guard was informed prior to their departure of their foolish plans and subsequently gave them a final warning that departing for the open ocean from Newport on Friday with a blizzard forecasted was a very dangerous plan.
150 miles later, with their sails in tatters and hypothermia setting in, they called it quits and requested rescue from those who had advised them against going in the first place.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've written two posts and deleted them as being too judgmental. I regret that because they weren't tough enough. I didn't know the part about the USCG warning.
I think the rescue was Friday. The wind wasn't as bad as Sunday but it was cold and if I was USCG I would not want to go on a rescue. It's just not OK to put them at risk for a non essential voyage. Ships at sea, yes. Poorly planned adventure, no.

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 35 and Mariner 2+2 Alexandria, VA
God Bless the USCG... Trying to fix stupid one rescue at a time.

I am normally not one to criticize, it is one thing to get caught out at sea, but to go out in the conditions we had this past weekend is beyond stupid. Hurricane Force Winds and seas forecast 18-25 feet off the Baltimore Canyon is no place for a shakedown cruise. I can only hope that common sense will set in for these folks.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
There was another Rescue Sunday, 3/4 people off a Trimaran 60 miles off Baldhead island NC , that makes 3 so far off the coast of NC, common people
wtf are you doing out there this time of year and with those strong cold fronts coming thru every 3/4 days:naughty::naughty::eek:

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
60 miles offshore in a trimaran, in this weather..

Can't the C.G. just shoot the boat out from under these mouth breathers?..