Rescue Roger

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
It was a short and easy run from Still Creek up to Chesapeake City where I planned to pick up crew and spend a few days. I pulled into the dock, walked up to town for a soft shell crab sandwich, and then returned to the boat so enjoy sitting in the cockpit and reading while watching boats come in and hit the shoal that lies right in the middle of the channel where anyone not familiar with the entrance would expect to find the deepest water.

All the boats just powered on through until late afternoon when a very nice English sailboat with an equally British couple on board came in. I jumped up to warn them of the shoal ahead but they were already stuck. I told them they could probably push through to the deeper water to port and they ran up the engine. The wife then came scrambling up from below shouting, “There is oil everywhere!”

He explained that their boat has hydraulic drive and there is a leaking seal which prevents them from running it faster than idle until they get it fixed. They tried to sail off.

I asked if they would like me to row an anchor out to kedge and they declined saying they would wait for the tide. I settled down to have a beer while awaiting the arrival of the owners of the schooner Susan B. Merryman of my design.

The fellow on the grounded boat called over to say that he would like to accept my offer. I got up and saw Peter and Pat coming down the dock as I was untying the dinghy. They said, “Hey, tell him all such offers are void after beer.” Good advice but I am too much the Samaritan. I set them up in the cockpit with crackers and smoked oysters, gave Peter the camera, and rowed out.

The anchor was way too heavy for me to hoist or lift in the dinghy but it had a short length of rope attached to the trip line fitting for securing it in the chocks. I have a quarter painter on each side of the dinghy so I tied one tight across to the other ring. I then tied the anchor securing line to the painter with a slip half hitch and had him lower the anchor carefully.

I rowed hard as the chain was let out but didn’t get far. He let out too much and I couldn’t pull the pile loose from the bottom. He winched it back in and it was enough to pull the bow around headed for the deep water. We then repeated the process having him feed the chain out slowly by hand. I rowed to bust a gut but the dinghy stopped as soon as the bight of the chain touched water. I dropped the anchor and he winched it in. The boat slowly started moving and they were soon off for the deeper water of the anchorage.

The fellows in the small outboard powerboat cruiser tied up behind me, who could have easily untied and gone out to pull them off, made some very nice comments as I rowed in. It clearly never occurred to them to help. Powerboaters are different.

We then had happy hour in the cockpit until BobT and Laura called to say that they were at the restaurant. We went up to eat a mountain of crabs washed down with the appropriate beverage.

I woke up yesterday morning expecting to spend a quiet day catching up on things like this and move out to the anchorage to meet the British couple. However, a look at the weather showed a choice between a week in Chesapeake City or a week in Cape May. Considering how much time I have spent the former and how much easier weather planning is without having to factor in the “U” turn at the cape, it was an easy decision. I quickly got underway and made the long boring run down the bay. Tide and weather timing were excellent with up to 8.5 kts SOG over the middle portion and the south wind and chop coming up only five miles from the canal entrance.

I’m now anchored in Cape May and it looks like I will be here for a while. This time, I should finally have time to walk down and see the historic houses along the beachfront. I’m also going to nurse my back a bit which is reminding me what a good guy I was up there in Chesapeake City.

Jul 11, 2013
Com-Pac 27/2 Mathews, Virginia
Roger - that sounds like a real work-out, for sure! As I recall from a couple of summers ago, the deeper water is to the port / eastern side as one heads into the anchorage. Is that still the case? I'd like to avoid hitting bottom when we transit the canal, probably next month. Also...where are you anchored in Cape May? Off the CG station?

Thanks for the info. Safe travels. I'll continue to read with great interest as we prepare for the trip northward.

Bill

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Stay near the bulkhead to port as you go into Chesapeake City. If you are docking, it's probably best to go about 3/4 of the way in and then 'U" turn to the docks although I didn't check it in detail. There is plenty of water at the docks themselves, at least at the outer end.

I'm currently in a marina waiting out this weather. I would have been OK in the Cape May anchorage the past couple days as it turns out but I needed to resupply.

The anchorage will be no place to be in the winds that are coming for the next couple of days. My wallet weeps.

The weather forecast has been quite discouraging. Yesterday, I didn't see a day for the rest of the month that I would consider going on. Today, I see some narrow windows when I might be able to go but they are sandwiched between some pretty lively conditions.

I put together a page of quick links to make it easier to keep looking at the weather.

http://www.cruisingonstrider.us/NJWeather.htm

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I wouldn't rush north. Snow is accumulating on my deck at the moment. Go figure ... I think it was in the 80's on Saturday and yesterday. Today in the rain it started at about 65 and is now 32 and blowing hard. Stay warm down there for a while yet!

Jul 11, 2013
Com-Pac 27/2 Mathews, Virginia
Roger - the WX in Cape May sounds similar to what it was when we passed through, ergo, we tied up where you are and watched those in the anchorage bounce around a couple of days. Thanks for the intel on Ches City. Hope the WX settles out soon for your run up the Shore.