Required Repairs and Upgrades on a 1983 Cal 39

Feb 3, 2021
Cal Cal 39 Toronto
Good evening,

I am a new sailor (learned on a Catalina 34) and I am not familiar yet with more involved handy work.
I am looking at an other boat, a 1983 Cal 39. It needs a few touch ups in the hull, at the bow (blue). Not holes but possibly needs fiberglass work and paint. I am not skilled to do it myself.
Down below the vinyl material all along the ceiling is sagging so it either needs to be replaced or taken off and paint the ceiling instead (?)...
Are these doable fixed or not worth the effort, also in term of costs ?

I hope I make sense. Again, please forgive my “ignorance” in regards.

Thank you !

Corrado

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hello Corrado.
These projects, based on your statement, are fixable in general. Are they expensive? Maybe maybe not. Are they a DIY project? Maybe. Depends on the amount of damage. Are they worth fixing? If you like the boat and you want the project sure. But how do you value the “worth” of fixing? Is your time being valued or are you getting enjoyment of the project which is not monetized.

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your boating adventures.

Feb 3, 2021
Cal Cal 39 Toronto
Thank you Jess ! Yes, I do like the boat. I like the Cal 39 in general. I am also looking at a Morgan 384 I like, also because it has a 5 foot draft VS the 6.8 of the Cal but Cal would be my favourite. I wonder if 6.8 it’d be too deep for the ICW ? (Not necessarily a deal breaker for me).

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
I'd consider the Cal 39 to be a very desirable boat.

If the hull needs repairs, and its blue, then I would expect you will need to have the hull professionally painted at some $200/foot. The 39 is a classy boat, a DIY paint job would be a shame. The drooping headliner is a common problem with boats like Cal that have a fabric headliner, that can be a simple if time-consuming DIY fix. As its a common condition, you can find plenty of how to guides, eg

Whether its worth repairs depends...but it a boat that is worth time and money.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021
Cal Cal 39 Toronto
I'd consider the Cal 39 is a very desirable boat.

If the hull needs repairs, and its blue, then I would expect you will need to have the hull professionally pointed at some $200/foot. Its a classy boat, a DIY paint job would be a shame. The drooping headliner is a common problem with boats like Cal that have a fabric headliner, that can be a simple if time-consuming DIY fix. As its a common condition, you can find plenty of how to guides, eg

Whether its worth repairs depends...but it a boat that is worth time and money.
Great. Thank you for your feed back. Yes, I like the Cal a lot. We’ll see how it goes. Thank you. Corrado