Repowering with a Volvo D1-30

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
It seems in this world that labour rates are high enough that considerations for swapping out engines rather than maintaining seems the logical way to go, based only on financials. One of our local outfits has suggested that rather than replacing the Hurth transmission, heat exchanger, exhaust elbow, raw water pump, exhaust manifold, (no big deal - all to which I consider pretty straight forward to replace by myself, so labour costs minimal), engine mounts, etc. that it may be equivalent cost to just replacing the whole engine!

Has anyone replaced their engine? I've been told the Volvo D1-30 would work. Anyone done that swap?

Thanks!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Replacing all those parts is significantly more than just maintenance, so I think regular maintenance is probably still the less expensive way to go if given the option. Are all those parts really damaged to the point of needing replacement? Repowering can be worthwhile if the original engine is quite badly damaged, but usually that would mean damage to the block itself, not just the attached parts. It’s also sometimes necessary if you can’t get parts anymore, but I doubt that’d be a problem with that for what I presume is a 3GM30F?

If forced to repower I’d look for something as similar as possible to what you have. Changing manufacturers will probably mean a different footprint, which could involve things like moving stringers and exhaust runs. Volvo is also not known to have inexpensive replacement parts, so if you switch in that direction factor in significant maintenance costs in the future.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
@BC Bernie, you might want to check out this thread happening now. Same situation as yours.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
You don't say which engine you have in the C310. If it is a Universal M25xpb, I'd think you would look at the Beta Marine replacement engines, which use the same Kubota block that Universal uses. An engine swap might be just a straight change out.
That being said, I'm not clear on why you would need to change out the engine. All the parts and ancillary components you mentioned are not integral to the engine itself, and could be replaced without the expense of an engine swap out. I would also wonder why all those systems have to be replaced at once.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Given the parts premium $ for Volvo, I would suggest you change to a new Betamarine. I did that change over in 2018. Love that quiet new Beta. :)
Different boat, but just ask if you want a link to my blog entries discussing the project.
You are at the 20 year point where a lot of the OEM parts and peripherals will need to be changed and updated, in any case.
My boat has nearly the same displacement as yours, so a Betamarine25 should drive it really easily.

tomlix

Mar 29, 2024
Freedom 25 25 Cleveland
Given the parts premium $ for Volvo, I would suggest you change to a new Betamarine. I did that change over in 2018. Love that quiet new Beta. :)
Different boat, but just ask if you want a link to my blog entries discussing the project.
You are at the 20 year point where a lot of the OEM parts and peripherals will need to be changed and updated, in any case.
My boat has nearly the same displacement as yours, so a Betamarine25 should drive it really easily.
Rebuilding a 1976 Frances 26 (6800 lb displacement) and considering the Beta 20. No engine in her now but early versions had either a Volvo or the Yanmar 1GM10 (and reports of being way underpowered). Sounds like a link to your blog entries on your project would be helpful (and appreciated).