Repowering 28' ODay

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
A few general comments. I am older, with grown children, and the boat is mostly a weekender. I don't want a bigger boat. For me, this is the perfect size, much bigger than my 22, a bit smaller (and cozier) than my friend's Catalina 30. I do plan on keeping the boat as long as I can sail. The thought of single handing the C 30's sails in my late seventies is not comforting. My plan is to have the boat refitted, new rigging, new wiring, new motor. In the end, it will cost about 20,000 (not counting sweat equity) or as much as a newer boat, which has a style I don't like as much, and which has 10-15 year old rigging etc, etc. I am not worried about resale value. That will be my children's concern, along with the rest of the estate. In the end, I will have good knowledge of all the boat's systems, and all systems will be 21st century and as close to current ABYC standards as I can get. Obviously this is not a plan for everyone, but it is one I've thought a lot about and am comfortable with.

Mar 6, 2018
O’day 34 Jensen Beach
My current of day 34 has a 25 horse power universal based on the Kabota diesel tractor engine. It has a two bladed prop and with a clean bottom we can run seven kts at 2600 RPM
My last boat, a 27 foot Watkins had a 15 hp Yanmar which ran great. But, it was a dog. Run it wide open attempting to get out of our inlet we were sometimes slowed down to one knot. Not a good thing when there’s many large sport fishing around you.
I would definitely opt for the larger horse power as it’s much easier on the engine of the low RPM and the speed is really nice

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
That was my question as well. Beta or Universal seem to be considerably less money than Yanmar. The extra money for a Yanmar does not seem to be worth it for an older boat.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I have a universal m25-xpb and find the same as Windchime but (if memory serves me correctly ) get 7 knots at 2200 with a 9x19 (I think ) prop. I may be over proped.
Overall very satisfied with it. Replaced the problem Sherwood water pump with a Johnson the first year.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2008
I was quoted somewhere around $9,000.00 at the Annapolis Boat Show last year for the Beta M25XPB and $12,800 at the AC boat show for a Yanmar 29 HP this year.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I was quoted somewhere around $9,000.00 at the Annapolis Boat Show last year for the Beta M25XPB and $12,800 at the AC boat show for a Yanmar 29 HP this year.
You appear to have your vendors and products a tad confused. The Betamarine and Universal engines come from from totally different vendors/makers. The Kubota block underlies both, however, as well as other marinized marine diesel suppliers.
Your price is very close to what I just paid for a new Betamarine 25 engine, with the upgrade alternator and full-gauge panel options.
The "M25XPB" is a Universal engine model. Matter of fact I have recently removed an older Universal M25XP that was still faithful but leaking and blowing vapor. It was and is very rebuildable, but it made more $ sense for me to just start over.
In my part of the world, all three (Betamarine, Yanmar, and Universal/Westerbeke) are popular, but the Beta is noticeably better-loved by all the mechanics I know. And in the last decade nearly all of the re-powers in my YC have been Beta engine packages.

Not cheap, but then a new current-technology suite of sales would cost about the same or more, and no one bats an eye at that! :)

Fairs winds and quiet motoring to you!

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2010
I have a universal m25-xpb and find the same as Windchime but (if memory serves me correctly ) get 7 knots at 2200 with a 9x19 (I think ) prop. I may be over proped.
Overall very satisfied with it. Replaced the problem Sherwood water with a Johnson the first year.
Agree that you have too much pitch (i.e over propped)...
After years of trial and error, we have settled on a strictly-cruising (!) three blade "sailor model" fixed prop. We motor at 7.0, at 2600 rpm, for 26 hours straight, delivering the boat up the Washington coast. Our old feathering prop was a lot faster under sail, but inefficient when motoring.... everything's a compromise, someone once said.
:)

Jun 26, 2015
O Day 28 Dana Point
I’m thrilled to say that that my new Yanmar
3YM20G-2.62 engine is finally installed and music to my ears! My mechanic Leonard Greech of Sea Power installed the engine. He really had to do a lot of work on changing the motor mount, but did an amazing job! The engine does not protrude into the cabin and the cabinets are the same. I’m not sure that it would be the right decision for others, but it was right for me and I am so happy!
I’m loving it! Thank you to all of you that told me about your experiences with repowering! Here r a few pics!
3D040294-6DC8-4111-A504-34F670A54574.jpeg
160DE9DE-EB5B-4B97-BE55-F22A4D3CE169.jpeg
EC441038-B3EE-400D-9892-43D16CB851CB.jpeg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I’m thrilled to say that that my new Yanmar
3YM20G-2.62 engine is finally installed and music to my ears! My mechanic Leonard Greech of Sea Power installed the engine. He really had to do a lot of work on changing the motor mount, but did an amazing job! The engine does not protrude into the cabin and the cabinets are the same. I’m not sure that it would be the right decision for others, but it was right for me and I am so happy!
I’m loving it! Thank you to all of you that told me about your experiences with repowering! Here r a few pics!View attachment 149829 View attachment 149830 View attachment 149831
Looks good! Should give you plenty of power.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Ollon, what size prop are you using and do you find much drag increase over a two blade?
Congratulations O Happy and many years of motoring without problems. Do you have any pics of the engine bed modifications and what were the costs?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@O Happy Day Very nice. Now splash and test. That’s where the “a ha” moment happens and a great big grin forms. People start to stare and say “I wonder what he is taking. I got to get me some!”

It’s grey not blue, but we will let that slide.

Have fun.

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Very Nice! Here's hoping you enjoy it for many years!!!!

Oct 7, 2008
Very nice. You've given a new heart to an O'day. It will last for many years and provide you with many reliable cruises.

Jun 26, 2015
O Day 28 Dana Point
I actually left the same 2 blade prop on just to see how it does. I hated to spend any more money without at least trying it first. I also worry about a three blade slowing me down sailing. It seems to be pushing pretty well, but I haven’t been in rough seas yet.
Thanks for all the well wishes! I am feeling very safe now with the new engine, which is a good thing because a lot of the time I’m on the ocean alone.
Let me see if I have some pics of the engine bed...
36F5D3F0-814D-4D92-B119-E5E56628EE8F.jpeg
58E104FB-68AB-4078-83B1-EC59D3F4B0E7.jpeg
038F4A0F-CED2-433E-9543-66C15EE2D29F.jpeg

You can see in the first picture where he had to cut out the fiberglass quite a bit.
I’m a lady without much knowledge of Diesel engines. My mechanic really tried to educate me throughout the rebuild, and made some really nice changes for my convenance. For instance the fuel filter was on the wall behind the engine and now it is right in the front on the starboard side where I can reach it easily. The sea strainer is on the front port side, also with in easy reach. It is tight thought esp on the port side of the engine.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Nice, I'm a guy and know very little about diesel engines too! About the only pet peeve I have is seeing old wiring that is cut off and seems to serve no purpose. I'd try removing those wires just to make sure you don't have anything still hot from the old install (gray wire upper right, and red and black top left above engine).

Apr 8, 2010
Best mechanics seem to be pretty good at teaching, as well. I know one like that. Now that he's in his late 70's, he no longer does the labor, but for a nominal fee will advise an owner and coach him/her thru engine and electrical work.
He still has all the "work" that he wants to take on!
:)
One little quibble: current ABYC guidelines call for a flame shield 'bowl' mounted on the bottom of that Racor, because it's mounted beside the engine. And, be sure that all of the wire and hose clamps on the upper engine compartment surfaces are cushioned metal. These advisories are related to newer fire concerns. (We are doing an engine replacement currently and have been getting educated about this stuff.)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Free or half the current $4k asking price I might consider it as I'm working up estimates on sails, motor, cabin work, etc. on my current 25 right now to determine keep or move up.
Even if they GAVE it to you, if you want a diesel boat its cost is actually going to $10K+. No such thing as a free boat.

Jun 26, 2015
O Day 28 Dana Point
Nice, I'm a guy and know very little about diesel engines too! About the only pet peeve I have is seeing old wiring that is cut off and seems to serve no purpose. I'd try removing those wires just to make sure you don't have anything still hot from the old install (gray wire upper right, and red and black top left above engine).

Jun 26, 2015
O Day 28 Dana Point
Thank you I will ask my mechanic to strip out the old wires, and also fix the possible fire issues that you talked about!