Repower with Westerbeke or Yanmar?

Oct 28, 2018
Hunter 30 Cherubini Kemah, TX
Trying to decide if I should re-power my 30 1978 Hunter. Currently, it has a YSM 12 which I was finally able to get started. Currently in the process of replacing starter which died after I was able to get the engine fired up.

After scouring the forums, it has become apparent that the little one cylinder diesel is considered under powered for this size of a boat. I am currently in betweeAfter scouring the forums, it has become apparent that the little one cylinder diesel is considered under powered for this size of a boat. I am currently trying to decide between:

-Westerbeke35e three; and
-1998 Yanmar 2 cylinder (haven’t gotten the exact model number yet)

the Westerbeke is “like new” and has very low hours (1-2 hours). Guy is offering it for 3200. Runs great.

the 1998 2 cylinder yanmar seems to run well also but no clue how many hours. Thing to note is This was taken off a boat that caught fire but the engine compartment wasn’t damaged just covered with soot. Being offered at 2000.

Would the newer more powerful Westerbeke be worth the extra 1200 or should I go for the older Yanmar ?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Some things to consider:

1. Is one smaller than the other? A smaller engine should be more accessible and easier to maintain. A friend of mine purchased a boat with a new engine that was nearly impossible to access for service.
2. If size was not an issue, a 1-2 hour Westerbeke would interest me over a 22 year old engine with 2200+ hours (assuming 100 hours per year).

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
There is a much better choice than WB. BETA. Best reuptation on the planet.

Oct 28, 2018
There is a much better choice than WB. BETA. Best reuptation on the planet.
I have looked at and considered BETA. Unfortunately, haven't found a used one with low hours and price like this WB though. I'm in the Seabrook/Kemah, TX area. If you or anyone knows of a used Beta in good shape let me know.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
My H27 was repowered with a Yanmar 2gm20f by the PO. It is a tight fit, especially on the port side where the oil stick is. Your H30 may have a larger engine compartment although they both had the same engines when new. I would ask for total width measurements of the engines from both sellers. No problems fore and aft on my installation.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The only real problem I have noted with Westerbeke is their parts can be hard to find and more expensive than Yanmar stuff.. if the engine really has 2 hours on it, you'd probably not need stuff beyond the normal maintenance stuff (oil filter, impellers, secondary fuel filters, etc.. )
I'd probably lean toward the WB if ya trust the seller.. The dimensional thing (will it fit) may dictate a choice..

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
There is no advantage to overpowering with the WB, but I'd prefer the like new idea! No knowing the condition of the Yanmar without an expert assessment.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
the Westerbeke is “like new” and has very low hours (1-2 hours). Guy is offering it for 3200. Runs great.
Sorry @Woodrowbr - I'm having trouble comprehending a Westerbeke with 1 -2 hours at a "deeply discounted" price. the 1-2 hours on a "used engine" raises a lot of questions in my mind.

Maybe $3200 isn't deeply discounted since I haven't been shopping for engines (ever). Is it 1-2 hours since a complete "rebuild" or 1-2 hours total ever? If its 1-2 hours since rebuild, who did the rebuild and can you see all the receipts and records for what was replaced in the rebuild or was it just "gone through and checks out and test run for 1-2 hours. Will you get a warranty with this "like new" engine or is it "as is." (buyer beware)

If its total hours then 1-2 hrs is "brand new" not "like new". What is the source of this bargain? Was the hour meter hooked up for 2 hrs and then disconnected or failed? How do you know it "runs great" if it ony has 2 hours on it? With 1 -2 hrs i doubt if its ever been run at load and maybe never even gotten up to operating temp if those 1-2 hours were short runs. Heck, I'd want it to have been run more than 2 hours just to check it out? When was it run last? Why is it even available? Was it taken out of a new boat that sunk at the pier when it was launched? Unless you are getting this from a Westerbeke dealer or authorized installer that bought this for "some other job" and the customer cancelled I'd be really leary of the 1-2 hour claim or you personally know the seller and the history of this engine.

I'm not being critical, just skeptical. I'm sure you have all that info and just didn't see it as necessary to put in that detail in your question but I'd want to know that before I even considered it Remember, if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
If I was going through a re-power anticipating keeping the boat for years down the road, I'd go with a new Beta Marine engine. No question in my mind.

There is a lot of work involved in re-powering if done right. I would really prefer to have a rock solid engine. If I was going to not re-power with a new engine, I'd rebuild the current engine. On your specific boat and had the $'s, I'd upgrade the prop to a feathering three blade. The 12 hp original engine I find to be quite sufficient for this boat, but then I am far more a sailor than a motor sailor. I also really like the efficiency and reliability of that original engine.

I personally only use the motor as an auxiliary engine to push around in tight marinas or on windless days to move about. In both cases that engine is more than adequate. If I were sailing in an area where I had consistent need of motoring, I might have a different opinion. For example, if I had my marina up a river where I really had to motor in and out all the time that may be different. In which case I'd clearly go with a beta marine...

Just my 2 cents worth.

dj

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Lots of good advice above. To minimize your risk suggest contacting your Kemah Yanmar dealer to obtain pricing for a Yanmar suitable for your sailboat for price comparison and warranty.

1593611905764.png

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
People recommending a new Beta (or any engine) obviously do not know how costly they are. Just priced a new Beta 30 and it is $12,000 plus installation. Install will depend how much you are replacing. For a new prop, shaft, transmission and packing gland was almost $20,000 installed! Yanmar would probably be slightly more expensive than that.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
As far as the Westerbeke versus Beta discussion goes, I don't think one company's Kubota can be better than the other company's Kubota. (Westerbeke has used Mitsubishi engines, too, and probably others). At their core, they are the same. Neither company makes engines. The only differences are what you think of the job marine-izing them either company does, and how their parts and service networks perform. I have gotten parts for my Westerbeke the next day, UPS, from Hansen Marine Engineering, my local dealer. They are extremely helpful. I have also bought Kubota parts for my Universal M25, once I learned the Kubota model number and got the Kubota parts book.

I have never had an issue getting Westerbeke parts, and I'm told they will even make parts that aren't stocked anymore. Granted, they are not cheap, but they are available.

I would have no trouble putting a low or no hours Westerbeke in my boat. I only wonder where a 1 to 2 hour Westerbeke came from.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
People recommending a new Beta (or any engine) obviously do not know how costly they are. Just priced a new Beta 30 and it is $12,000 plus installation. Install will depend how much you are replacing. For a new prop, shaft, transmission and packing gland was almost $20,000 installed! Yanmar would probably be slightly more expensive than that.
I am completely aware of the associated costs. I've also put a number of engines in boats. Knowing how much work is involved in putting a different engine into a boat and all the associated pitfalls that can occur, I'd either rebuild the engine currently in place (or find an identical used engine - see caveat below) or spend the extra $'s and put in a new engine. Going through all the work and ending up with an old engine in the boat is not a road I'd choose.

In the cases where I've put used engines into boats, I've only dealt with used engines that come from a known source, known history of the engine, and/or known mechanic that rebuilt the engine. None of these conditions were expressed by the OP.

dj

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Having lived with both a Westerbeke33 and a Yanmar GM20F, I would strongly recommend the Yanmar. The Westerbeke is a much bigger engine, I'd be amazed it would fit in a 30',,, While Westerbeke parts are more expensive than Yanmar, the Yanmar is simply a better engine to live with, and 18 HP should be plenty. Our 2GM20F has been wonderful for the past seven years, a much easier engine to own and operate than a W35, unless of course you need the extra horsepower, which you cant use in a 30' anyway. With the Westerbeke and its glowplug, it'd often take 20-30 seconds of glow plug before starting the engine when cold.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018
Sorry @Woodrowbr - I'm having trouble comprehending a Westerbeke with 1 -2 hours at a "deeply discounted" price. the 1-2 hours on a "used engine" raises a lot of questions in my mind.

Maybe $3200 isn't deeply discounted since I haven't been shopping for engines (ever). Is it 1-2 hours since a complete "rebuild" or 1-2 hours total ever? If its 1-2 hours since rebuild, who did the rebuild and can you see all the receipts and records for what was replaced in the rebuild or was it just "gone through and checks out and test run for 1-2 hours. Will you get a warranty with this "like new" engine or is it "as is." (buyer beware)

If its total hours then 1-2 hrs is "brand new" not "like new". What is the source of this bargain? Was the hour meter hooked up for 2 hrs and then disconnected or failed? How do you know it "runs great" if it ony has 2 hours on it? With 1 -2 hrs i doubt if its ever been run at load and maybe never even gotten up to operating temp if those 1-2 hours were short runs. Heck, I'd want it to have been run more than 2 hours just to check it out? When was it run last? Why is it even available? Was it taken out of a new boat that sunk at the pier when it was launched? Unless you are getting this from a Westerbeke dealer or authorized installer that bought this for "some other job" and the customer cancelled I'd be really leary of the 1-2 hour claim or you personally know the seller and the history of this engine.

I'm not being critical, just skeptical. I'm sure you have all that info and just didn't see it as necessary to put in that detail in your question but I'd want to know that before I even considered it Remember, if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't.
Good points, from what I remember when speaking to the guy he said he pulled it out of a storm salvaged boat. That’s his business from what I understand.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Good points, from what I remember when speaking to the guy he said he pulled it out of a storm salvaged boat. That’s his business from what I understand.
Even more question.s. 1-2 hours on a storm salvaged boat? How did the boat even get to the place where it was in the water at a slip or mooring and only have 1-2 hours on it? If it was a brand new boat with only 1-2 hours on it, what idiot launced a boat with a storm coming? Just saying. If it truely has 1-2 hours on it I'd expect some serious "proof" of that.

Sounds like 1-2 hours since a rebuild. I'd want to see all the receipts for the rebuild parts. If it was immediatley salvaged, and the engine was underwater I"d expect it to have been immediately "pickled" and then then I"d expect the seller to give you all that info and the original hours estimated on the engine. Just my perspective.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I have looked at and considered BETA. Unfortunately, haven't found a used one with low hours and price like this WB though. I'm in the Seabrook/Kemah, TX area. If you or anyone knows of a used Beta in good shape let me know.
Have you checked at Yacht Equipment Services on Marina Bay? Jim is the local Yanmar dealer, the last time I was in there he had a completely rebuilt 2 banger for sale.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Even more question.s. 1-2 hours on a storm salvaged boat? How did the boat even get to the place where it was in the water at a slip or mooring and only have 1-2 hours on it? If it was a brand new boat with only 1-2 hours on it, what idiot launced a boat with a storm coming? Just saying. If it truely has 1-2 hours on it I'd expect some serious "proof" of that.

Sounds like 1-2 hours since a rebuild. I'd want to see all the receipts for the rebuild parts. If it was immediatley salvaged, and the engine was underwater I"d expect it to have been immediately "pickled" and then then I"d expect the seller to give you all that info and the original hours estimated on the engine. Just my perspective.
You have a very cynical view of this thing. The guy says it's a new, 1-2 hours engine salvaged from a storm-damaged boat. No one ever said it was sunk, or that it might be a rebuild, etc. It would be very easy to evaluate this from just a visual inspection of the engine, and even a look at the control panel that probably accompanies it, showing 1 or 2 hours on the Hobbs meter. Why not go with that story, lacking any other data? I have a friend who's bought multiple "new" engines from cars that were totaled on their way to the dealer, or soon after being driven off the lot. I can imagine new, unsold boats breaking loose from their moorings and being totaled without being sunk.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
You have a very cynical view of this thing.
I wouldn't say I"m cynical as much as "questioning." It is not at all impossible that the case you postulate is so. My only point is that if that were the case I would expect the seller to be able to clearly demostrate that. @Woodrowbr may have all that info and just didn't give us the history he has. You are correct he didn't say it was sunk and I only assumed that. I did so because that even if a brand new boat of the size that would use the engine in question could be dismasted and they probably wouldn't total it and could even have a pretty good hole punched in it on the hard and not be totaled. In the examples you stated of a car it is pretty easy to "demonstrate" low hours since there is an engine number that can be matched to the car in question and I am pretty sure that a seller would be happy to show that. I don't think that is the case for a boat. In any case, I don't think its cynical, just realistic. Maybe @Woodrowbr knows the seller very well and there is no reason to question the 1-2 hours. However, there are thousands of new cars produced each year and probably upwards of hundreds that are totaled "out of the box" in a trucking accident and a few you hear about when being driven off the lot. Maybe I"m wrong but I"d bet your friend has an "in" with the dealers to get a brand new engine out of a car that has been totaled with less than 120 miles on it. Sure its possible for a boat but the numbers for this kind of luck are much less probable. Again - its $3200 plus a lot of labor to put in an engine and its not unreasonable to ask for assurance of the claimed 1-2 hours.