Repower with diesel

Nov 17, 2019
Columbia 36' Sloop San Diego
I have a 36' Columbia sloop with an 30hp Atomic 4 gas motor. I am thinking about repowering with a rebuilt diesel motor. Good idea?? bad idea??

If I do, any opinion on which diesel best (size, cost, etc.) and guess on purchase price and install cost?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Bob, a friend with a Pearson 30 repowered his A4 with a Universal M25. Yes, it can be done, successfully.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Building on Hello Below's post, Beta advertises a "Drop in" replacement for the A-4.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I have a 36' Columbia sloop with an 30hp Atomic 4 gas motor. I am thinking about repowering with a rebuilt diesel motor. Good idea?? bad idea??

If I do, any opinion on which diesel best (size, cost, etc.) and guess on purchase price and install cost?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob
Repowering a boat like a Columbia 36 with a rebuilt diesel could be a great idea. It just depends on the quality of the work and assumes there is a worthwhile savings in going that route.

I believe the biggest challenge facing the longevity of older boats like a C-36 is; what do you do when it needs the inevitable re-power?

Pay a yard to install a new engine? If that's done correctly nearly every related system will need replacing as well. These days, the charge for a couple of skilled workers to spend just a day doing anything will likely be 1K. They will spend several days inside a 50 year old obsolete boat re powering it before the job is complete.

I doubt you could have a yard with a good rep do a repower for less than 20K. Does that make sense in a boat that likely is of less value? It doesn't to me but that is up to individual.

Costs for a rebuild: I wouldn't guess but I have noticed that the value of running used engines seems to have risen lately. I see them for sale at ridiculously high asking $$. My guess is a professional rebuilt engine with a guarantee could be 60-70% of a new engine.

Back to the re-power costs. It could be worth buying a rebuilt if it matched what you're replacing simply because the install would be a small cost in comparison to a yard changing all systems, including building new engine beds. That is why an Atomic 4, factory rebuilt, is still produced. That brings me back to what you'll pay: I doubt you'll save much re-powering with a rebuilt, unless you're replacing the same block.

Do you care if at resale you only re-coupe a small portion of the repower cost? A new engine professionally installed could be the difference between a treasured boat and a pain in the neck.

Your scenario is where DIY boat owners rule.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
And why go to all the trouble of switching pretty much everything (engine, trans, mounts, fuel system, likely exhaust, cooling, etc) rather than fix whatever may be wrong with the A4 or just popping a Moyer rebuild in there. Cost for a new A4 is likely half (or more, depending on yard or DIY) of what the diesel conversion would be.

Nothing essentially wrong with an A4 'cept they're thirsty. Sure diesel is 'safer' than gas, but there are sure a whole lot of inboard gas powered boats in marinas that don't spontaneously blow up. Just not many are sailboats.

Nov 17, 2019
Columbia 36' Sloop San Diego
My reason to consider repowering from the Atomic 4 to a small diesel is twofold..
First in my 40+ years of So Cal boating all of my boats have all been diesel, dependable, easy to work on and safe.
Second, the Atomic 4 has never really been that reliable or run properly. Seems a gas motor in a marine environment is asking for problems.
I guess as I write this the main reason is I am just more comfortable with diesel. I know it does not make a lot of sence to spend the money on an old (1974) boat, but the Columbia is a classic, solid sailing vessel and it seems it would improve the boat with diesel.

Aug 14, 2019
Tartan 34c Toms River
Just my two cents but I was in the similar situation. I wanted to repower my Tartan 34C which had a atomic 4. I decided to stay with the Atomic 4 over the cost of replacement.
I rebuilt the A4 at a fraction of the replacement. I am happy that I did. It runs fine and don't motor all that much.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
An A4 really should be as reliable as a diesel, and if not there's a reason. I would never recommend one to somebody that doesn't DIY though - dunno if marine techs really know old-school engines well enough to fix em right or for less than huge $$$. Sure, the carbs can be cranky - but so are injectors, filters, and proper bleeding on a diesel.

And my plan to convert my currently quite reliable A4 to a diesel is exactly the same as Kings Gambit's. I may also gain 7' of length (soon as that slip happens.... any day now....)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
My reason to consider repowering from the Atomic 4 to a small diesel is twofold..
First in my 40+ years of So Cal boating all of my boats have all been diesel, dependable, easy to work on and safe.
Second, the Atomic 4 has never really been that reliable or run properly. Seems a gas motor in a marine environment is asking for problems.
I guess as I write this the main reason is I am just more comfortable with diesel. I know it does not make a lot of sence to spend the money on an old (1974) boat, but the Columbia is a classic, solid sailing vessel and it seems it would improve the boat with diesel.
Would you pay others to do the conversion? Or are you a DIY? That will affect your direct money outlay. However, one should pay oneself. Something I never used to think of...

So a re-power makes no economic sense. If you love your boat and don't want to change boats for many years, then for your own boating pleasure choose the option you most prefer. I will confess, if it were me thinking to re-power I would go to diesel. TomY touched on a point that is quite relevant - used motors are now often really pricey. Years back I would just go look for a good used motor. But today I would more likely go to a beta marine replacement. (I've re-powered several boats over the years but all many years back).

Good luck.

dj

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It would be a nice upgrade, it's a classic old boat. Hopefully you fill us in on what the options are in rebuilt engines.

You have me thinking, for the same reason I believe used engines are showing up for sale at greater numbers and at much higher prices lately, perhaps there will be a similar growth (my perception), in rebuilt engines. Why not if the demand is there and a shop has the skills? The price would have to be enough of a savings over new to be viable. If you have a drop in option in a re-built engine, that will save significant $$. They would have to come with a guarantee which would mean a reputable source.

I had this rebuild vs new vs used, problem last winter with a transmission needing a rebuild. The transmission, an old style Paragon manual gear that has been obsolete for a long time.

Looking around there were options for used (chancy), rebuilt(less chancy) and new gears(least chancy), as we all know.

No matter what I looked at, unless it was the same unit, the process became more than simply removing what I had, and putting it back on.

A local mechanic knew of a rebuilder in state (Billings Marine). I dropped it off and in a few days got an email that the damage was more than a straight rebuild that they are equipped for, could be done.

In the same email, they had found a rebuilt unit, reduction gear and all, ready to ship. Of course it just bolted on and my obsolete manual linkage snapped on.

The rebuilt unit wasn't cheap, $2500 plus my old core. I needed a new shaft and coupling so total was nearly 4k with no labor on my boat. Had I hired out the job; remove old unit, installed a new transmission -with the related bell housing/adaptor plate, re-figured new linkage and controls, fit the new shaft and coupling, I doubt I would have gotten that done for a lot less than twice what I paid for parts alone.

I'm still with an obsolete transmission. But so is my engine, and come to think of it, my entire 1961 sailboat is beyond obsolete as many added parts since, are obsolete.

The rebuilt transmission performed beyond my expectations. I'm glad to went this route. I'm still obsolete, now by design.

I took a video this season of my obsolete engine I installed over 10 years ago. That used engine - with a history that I trusted - cost $1K. It was installed (my me) in a few hours and very little added $$(a different block-no comparison).

That has turned out well but there is always more of a gamble for used, even rebuilt over new.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Cost of remove and replace with a new motor will be around 20K if you have a yard do the work. Assuming a used rebuilt motor is about 4K the cost will be around 14K. Plus you will have to deal with the fuel tank (remove old gas, flush and clean, add return port), fuel lines, and the instrument panel. Fuel pump and filters will also be a consideration. A lot of the cost is for other things once you get into it. The shaft will be checked and prop must be matched to the motor and boat combination. The stuffing box will be cleaned and new rubber hose installed then the exhaust system and raw water system will possibly need replacement while in there. Motor mounts and stringers may need modification.