Repower for Columbia 36

Sep 18, 2015
Columbia 36 Fletcher Bay - Bainbridge Island
I need some help deciding what engine I should by to re-power my 1969 Columbia 36. I have two choices; 1. Buy a 14 year old Yanmar 2 GM 20F with only 6 hours on the meter or 2. buy a Brand new Yanmar 3YM30AE. I can buy the used engine for $5000.

I'll probably keep the boat for at least another 3 years. I'm sure I can save some money buying the used one but is it worth the risk that if something were to happen to the engine there would be no warranty on it. A new one would at least have a manufacturers warranty.

I don't have enough experience to know. Please help.

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
I need some help deciding what engine I should by to re-power my 1969 Columbia 36. I have two choices; 1. Buy a 14 year old Yanmar 2 GM 20F with only 6 hours on the meter or 2. buy a Brand new Yanmar 3YM30AE. I can buy the used engine for $5000.

I'll probably keep the boat for at least another 3 years. I'm sure I can save some money buying the used one but is it worth the risk that if something were to happen to the engine there would be no warranty on it. A new one would at least have a manufacturers warranty.

I don't have enough experience to know. Please help.
$5K for a used engine does not seem like a great deal. Plus I would think the 2 cylinder would be underpowered for a 36 footer. It is only rated at 16 HP. I've got a 3 cylinder 3GMF which is rated at 20 HP in my 34 but was not enough to get me through Deception Pass with a current. I've been looking for a donor engine to rebuild myself but I've seen rebuilt ones offered in the $4500 range. I see a rebuilt 2GMF here with warranty for under $4K.

Sep 18, 2015
Hmmm. So are you thinking that maybe I should be looking at a 30 mhp engine at cruising speed so there is extra power when needed for currents?

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
Hmmm. So are you thinking that maybe I should be looking at a 30 mhp engine at cruising speed so there is extra power when needed for currents?
Sailboat Data says your boat is 12000 lbs displacement which is exactly the same as my H34. My 20 HP 3 cylinder moves us along very nicely at 7 kts plus or minus (which I believe is pretty much hull speed) and I haven't noticed impact from normal currents we get out in the sound. The time up in Deception Pass there was a 7 kt current coming through and I shouldn't have been there.

I don't really have any expertise in how to size boat engines but just saying, based on my experience with a 12000 lb boat you might want more HP just for just getting home in a reasonable time frame.

Charlie

Sep 18, 2015
You are right. Yanmar is recommending at least a 25 mhp engine for my boat. Thanks so much for your advice. It is appreciated and helps greatly with my decision. Happy sailing!

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
More horsepower won't help with currents. If your engine will get you up to hull speed in still water, it will still get you to hull speed through the water with a foul current. Your speed over ground will be hull speed minus whatever the current is (or plus the current if its with you). You can't do anything about it unless you're in a planing hull. Head wind and chop are different, a few extra horses will help with that.
On the Columbia 36 your limitation on engine size is probably going to be the engines height. On mine with the original Albin AD2 diesel (20 hp) there was only about 1/2 inch between the top of the engine and the bottom of the cockpit sole. Not even room for sound insulation, and it was almost impossible to do any work on the engine. I ended up cutting a hatch in the sole so I could get the valve cover off.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Outboards usually don't work well on boats that big. It's not so much the horsepower but the motor lifting out of the water then getting drowned in waves.

Sep 18, 2015
Of course, especially following waves. Thanks for the wisdom. I really do love this 1969 vintage boat so I want to keep it going but within economic reason.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I had a 1977 Columbia 10.7, displacement 13,900LBS with a 2QM20. 5.8 KTS was max. The continuous rating was 18 hp. A general rule of thumb for a displacement hull is about 5hp per ton displacement. I think you would be very happy with the 25hp Yanmar recommendation.